Just wanted to say thanks...

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
tenor.png

:ninja:

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I had a great day except for the work part of it. But I got home early enough to smoke some ribs in celebration. I read a good analogy yesterday. We celebrate astronauts that go to space for their bravery to go into the unknown. Columbus did the same thing at the time. Only it was his idea and he secured funding as well.

AS far as I know there is not one piece of land on the planet that wasn't owned or inhabited by "someone else" prior to being either physically taken over or having "others" move in and push the "natives" out.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Funny story, just have to share, when i worked in the US for a few years i always seemed to miss the Canadian Thanksgiving, which is the same day as Columbus day. People would often ask me why Canada celebrated it in October vs the US thanksgiving in November.
Well thats simple i said, when Columbus floated on over to this side of the pond, he stopped in Newfoundland first, where he resupplied with fresh food and water before making the trip to Plymouth rock where he founded the US.

It was truly amazing how many people actually believed that version, and they would often walk away after noting "well i learned something new today"

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Funny story, just have to share, when i worked in the US for a few years i always seemed to miss the Canadian Thanksgiving, which is the same day as Columbus day. People would often ask me why Canada celebrated it in October vs the US thanksgiving in November.
Well thats simple i said, when Columbus floated on over to this side of the pond, he stopped in Newfoundland first, where he resupplied with fresh food and water before making the trip to Plymouth rock where he founded the US.

It was truly amazing how many people actually believed that version, and they would often walk away after noting "well i learned something new today"
Rumour is that's where he shagged his first indian indigenous person.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
AS far as I know there is not one piece of land on the planet that wasn't owned or inhabited by "someone else" prior to being either physically taken over or having "others" move in and push the "natives" out.

That’s right. The common archaeological wisdom until very recently was that North America was inhabited 12-15,000 years ago via the Bering landing bridge. A new discovery in the White Sands NM region suggests that area may have been inhabited 23,000 years ago & some in the field claim as much as 150,000 years ago. Lots of societies to rise & fall in that kind of timeline.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Ironic, considering Chris thought he was India when in fact, he was in the future den of Yankees.

Only if the Caribbean islands, central and South America are wher yankees grow,,,,

Columbus discovered “America” in the Western Hemisphere sense,,, not the USA sense

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Akchewally there is a Leif Erickson Day recognized in the US on October 9.

International Viking Day is May 8.

None of that counts - we demand a federal paid holiday for yhose brave early beserkers,, I mean explorers