ACC Football

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The bluebloods of college football get treated differently. Always have, always will. No precedent has been set for any school not named Alabama or OSU. If Iowa loses to Purdue, they will fall out of the top ten most likely. Just how it is.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
How anyone in the big 10 is ranked as high as they are is beyond my thinking including Iowa. I could be wrong but I bet texas A&M could beat every team in the big 10 and this is from someone who hates almost every team in the sec. The big ten teams have beaten big 10 teams which year in and year proves to be overrated…. and as others have stated…..I think the slipper will come off for Kentucky next week. It would make for an incredible rest of the season if they pulled off such an upset but I don’t see it. And yes bama only fell 4 spots. I’ve seen them play every game and Saturday was a rarity. I still think they could beat anyone in the country including Georgia. But even if they weren’t that good they’re not gonna fall far because it’s bama.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I did not see Bama loosing to A&M. A shocker for me. I think they will win out now and face the Dawgs for the SEC title. All Georgia needs is their qb to not "lose" the game. He does not have to win if for them. Let the defense and running game win it. So then we would have the SEC champion, Big 01 champion (no matter who that is), I'm going with Cincy for the 3rd team. ESPN wants it so it will probably happen. I do think the 4th spot is wide open right now. But as most years I believe it will all works itself out.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Can someone justify the number 1 team losing to an unranked team, and only dropping to number 5? I'm just trying to understand
While I 100% agree with bias it is real they are still a top 5 team most likely top 2 team I'd been ok with them at number 2 in all fairness. As far as unranked team play in at A@M is difficult the top dog always gets everyone's best effort and that QB played out of his head same with backs they could play that game in Tuscaloosa and lose by 20 next week but that's what makes college so much fun is games just like that losing to unranked SEC no shame in that I mean its not like they lost to tarheels😁

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Big Ten has the best non-conference record so far against P-5 teams at 9-5.

Might be true but let’s go through the big tens best wins.

We’ll start with Iowa. They beat penn st who in turn barely beat auburn who in turn should’ve gotten beaten by Georgia st. Iowa also struggled to beat Iowa st and Colorado st. But wins are wins and they’re undefeated which is never a bad thing at this point in the season.

Next THE Ohio st university 😂😂 little humor
Lost to Oregon who turned around and lost to Stanford. Struggled up hill backwards against Tulsa and Minnesota 2 terrible teams. But in the last 3 games they have blown out much lesser opponents. Not an impressive resume. But they’re 5-1 and we all know they(like bama and the other sec powers) get treated different.

Michigan st.
Lost to a horrible Nebraska team in east Lansing that hasn’t been relevant any time in the past 2 decades. Struggled against western Kentucky allowing 31 points and also struggling against northwestern. Signature win is against Miami who we all know isn’t very good. Not impressive.

Michigan……6-0
Have not played a ranked opponent yet nor an opponent has been ranked all year to the best of my knowledge. Should’ve gotten beaten by Nebraska and possibly Rutgers. The toughest part of their schedule is the second half where they’ll likely lose 3 games. But probably should be ranked in the top 25 being 6-0 although they’ve beaten nobody.

And penn st
Signature win…..auburn whonas stated previous cane within a hair of getting beaten by Georgia st. I watch auburn every week and they have the worst quarterback in the sec. struggled to beat Wisconsin who is no longer ranked. Obvious loss to Iowa in a game they could’ve easily won. If they had that win this would be the most impressive resume.

So what I see are teams that have mediocre resumes beating other teams with mediocre resumes at best and the toughest parts some of these teams schedules is still in front of them.

I won’t be impressed with any of these teams until they do what Ohio st has only been able to accomplish one time this century and that is best the best sec team in the cfp.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
How anyone in the big 10 is ranked as high as they are is beyond my thinking including Iowa.
I was actually pulling for them to beat PSU before the game started, but then it became obvious PSU was the better team. Even in front of 70k fans at home, there was no way for Iowa to beat Penn St unless their QB goes down early, which of course happened.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Florida state is better than 2-4 indicates....they lost 2 by 3 pts each....very easily could be 4-2.......2 big wins and they may have the confidence they need. They have the talent.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Florida state is better than 2-4 indicates....they lost 2 by 3 pts each....very easily could be 4-2.......2 big wins and they may have the confidence they need. They have the talent.
Funny JSU showed them who was boss that was a team that UAB thumped 31-0 . you can't seriously say Fla st is anything but pathetic a team with mediocre talent doesn't get beat by them they lower division less than mediocre team and record proves it. Sometimes You just gotta lick your wounds and admit your team sucks trying justify that loss just aint worth it. We've all been there with our teams before it just is what the record shows even the Va tech and ga tech losses are sad both those stink its just one them years

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Funny JSU showed them who was boss that was a team that UAB thumped 31-0 . you can't seriously say Fla st is anything but pathetic a team with mediocre talent doesn't get beat by them they lower division less than mediocre team and record proves it. Sometimes You just gotta lick your wounds and admit your team sucks trying justify that loss just aint worth it. We've all been there with our teams before it just is what the record shows even the Va tech and ga tech losses are sad both those stink its just one them years
Evidently you have a hard time reading what I said. they are 2-4 yes but easily could be 4-2. they are loaded with talent whether you like them or not. are they great ? no. but they will pull off a few upsets this year.......are they pathetic ? no ..pathetic would be 0-6. are they terrible sometimes? yes.

I never said they were going to bowl or were awesome, great etc. B
By the way they are not my team.
All Florida st needs is confidence and they MAY have that now.....nothing more nothing less.

Last edited:

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
There really is no silver lining for a team that got beat by Jacksonville st and even less of a silver lining for the team that got beat by the team that got beat by Jacksonville st. FSU is fortunate that they have a win at all. They didn’t looks like a 1-4 team against Carolina….but then again Carolina makes everyone look 100% better than what they are 😂

And pathetic is 3-3 when you were ranked “9th” to start the season

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thats about as likely as ECU beating Bama. Fla st is one sorry $hit show have been for years now and only going down hill they'll be looking for next coach for musical chair soon very soon

Florida State has a locker room full of studs. If they ever pull it together, they can beat anybody. That includes the SEC. that team is stacked. Florida State may be he only team in college football that has played more disappointingly than Chapel Hill.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Evidently you have a hard time reading what I said. they are 2-4 yes but easily could be 4-2. they are loaded with talent whether you like them or not. are they great ? no. but they will pull off a few upsets this year.......are they pathetic ? no ..pathetic would be 0-6. are they terrible sometimes? yes.

I never said they were going to bowl or were awesome, great etc. B
By the way they are not my team.
All Florida st needs is confidence and they MAY have that now.....nothing more nothing less.
Wow. Mack and I agreed on something.

Our only disagreement here is I firmly believe they have a group of players that could knock Florida, bama, and UGA out if they ever pulled the mess together.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Can someone justify the number 1 team losing to an unranked team, and only dropping to number 5? I'm just trying to understand
They are the top rated 1 loss team... if you have watched much college football at all and disagree with that, I would question your football acumen.

In the real world they are still one of the best two teams in the sport this year and it ain't close. A&M caught lightening in a bottle last weekend, they are a good squad but you run that back 10 times and they put the over/under at 1.5 and I am taking the under and I would guess most here would as well.

Bottom line - upsets happen and the eye test matters in rankings... and even though it should not, so does history.

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
They are the top rated 1 loss team... if you have watched much college football at all and disagree with that, I would question your football acumen.

In the real world they are still one of the best two teams in the sport this year and it ain't close. A&M caught lightening in a bottle last weekend, they are a good squad but you run that back 10 times and they put the over/under at 1.5 and I am taking the under and I would guess most here would as well.

Bottom line - upsets happen and the eye test matters in rankings... and even though it should not, so does history.
@Firedog , If Georgia and Bama meet in the SEC championship and Georgia wins, do you still put Alabama in the playoff?

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
@Firedog , If Georgia and Bama meet in the SEC championship and Georgia wins, do you still put Alabama in the playoff?
Personally, I doubt I would, but that depends entirely on how the rest of the season plays out. Injuries play a major factor.. see Penn State this weekend as an example. But should everyone in the top 5 or 6 save for GA have two losses, then yea I would put them in, if the game with GA is close..

However, rankings and playoffs are different IMO. under a real playoff system with Auto Bids and At Large they would get in with 2 losses for sure.

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
Personally, I doubt I would, but that depends entirely on how the rest of the season plays out. Injuries play a major factor.. see Penn State this weekend as an example. But should everyone in the top 5 or 6 save for GA have two losses, then yea I would put them in, if the game with GA is close..

However, rankings and playoffs are different IMO. under a real playoff system with Auto Bids and At Large they would get in with 2 losses for sure.
Now that I can agree with. Hoping the committee and other stakeholders can come together and get this thing turned in to an 8 team playoff in the future. Providing auto bids for conference champions and 3 at large bids give a bit of protection to teams that simply have one bad game. Bama was outplayed and outcoached last weekend, but like you I am of belief they are still one of the best 4 teams for sure, but if the teams ahead of them keep winning they're out regardless due to one game.

I wish we did not even have rankings until after at least week 6. I think after 6 weekends, we can easily begin deciphering who is a contender and who is a pretender (Sorry heels, clemson, wisconsin etc.) It would also be more indicative of a team's true record. Like my post above regarding Iowa, they can boast they beat #17 Indiana in week 1, but 6 weeks in we now know Indiana was definitely not the 17th best team in the country. VA Tech's big win in week 1 definitely does not seem as big now 🙃

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I dont know personally what kind of money UNC football program has but one of my customers who does and donates money told me 3 weeks ago that it is ridiculous the amount of money UNC spends on the football program.
Well with that said.....
They sure don't mind pissing it away.

can anyone spewing that “Mack” crap ever be taken seriously again?

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
can anyone spewing that “Mack” crap ever be taken seriously again?
Hey DB. Just a heads up, you might be unaware of the new rules here in the sports forum. We're a safe space here now. No smack talking at all.

• Haha
Reactions: jug

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I still can't believe GA had to score a defensive TD to beat Clemson. Blame it on first game jitters I guess.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don’t think Clemson is all that bad. They are just coming off a lot of great years. The quarterback is most likely a good quarterback, but is being compared to an elite quarterback. Lawrence may be the best to ever play college football. I think this is a rebuilding year. Clemson is not done. They will be contenders again. Probably next year.

I look at it from an nc state perspective in terms of qb. Brissett and Glennon didn’t seem all that good compared to Wilson. They are all NFL quarterbacks. Some are just on another level.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I don’t think Clemson is all that bad. They are just coming off a lot of great years. The quarterback is most likely a good quarterback, but is being compared to an elite quarterback. Lawrence may be the best to ever play college football. I think this is a rebuilding year. Clemson is not done. They will be contenders again. Probably next year.

I look at it from an nc state perspective in terms of qb. Brissett and Glennon didn’t seem all that good compared to Wilson. They are all NFL quarterbacks. Some are just on another level.
I agree a with a lot of what you said except I do not rate Lawrence all that high. I would take Deshaun Watson over him all day. He would not make the all time top 10 college qb's for me.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I still can't believe GA had to score a defensive TD to beat Clemson. Blame it on first game jitters I guess.
I think the Clemson Georgia had to beat is a lot better than the now injury ridden Clemson we see now.
That said it probably bodes well for Clemson next year as it will allow a lot of them to sharpen their skillset.
Even Nick Saban doesn't bat 1000, and I think Dabo is the only guy that approaches his skill set.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Mack saved unc football.
Shows you how far they had fell

PS. what in the hell is asu doing tonight
Here I sit with them needing to just win not cover and they are laying an egg