Outlander the Books/Series

Lakeview Bear

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Wife got starz or showtime just to watch the series after reading the books. I think she finished within the 3 months free time period. I should probably check that bill...

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I started watching it on Netflix and got hooked. The story very much parallels one side of my family and how/when/where we came to America. My family were highland Scots and has been traced by to the 1300's in Scotland, and a castle ruins on Locke Ness. I found it interesting how life was back in Scotland, as it's my understanding that the author did a good bit of research to make the series as authentic as possible. One thing interesting I learned from my own research is, that North Carolina boasts more people of Scottish lineage than ANY other country in the world...including Scotland.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I started watching it on Netflix and got hooked. The story very much parallels one side of my family and how/when/where we came to America. My family were highland Scots and has been traced by to the 1300's in Scotland, and a castle ruins on Locke Ness. I found it interesting how life was back in Scotland, as it's my understanding that the author did a good bit of research to make the series as authentic as possible. One thing interesting I learned from my own research is, that North Carolina boasts more people of Scottish lineage than ANY other country in the world...including Scotland.

My Scottish ancestors came the NC too. Grandmother was a MacDonald. Married a Griffin.

great combo - Scot Irish - have few drinks, start a fight.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
my mom was an irish Catholic nun at one point in life....

therapy helps...🤣🤣🤣

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For those who may not know, they often reference the town of "Cross Creek" in the series. Cross Creek was a real settlement and is what is now Fayetteville. The Cape Fear River was the main conduit into NC for most Scots. My ancestors came up the Cape Fear, then forked off up the South River and settled there, and eventually to Elizabethtown. However, "Frasiers Ridge", a fictionalized place, is supposedly somewhere near Grandfather Mountain. Being from NC, we know that the frequent trips made from there to "Cross Creek" and Wilmington are very impractical. However, I think the author is just trying to tie in the 2-3 areas of NC that the Scottish predominantly colonized.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
For those who may not know, they often reference the town of "Cross Creek" in the series. Cross Creek was a real settlement and is what is now Fayetteville. The Cape Fear River was the main conduit into NC for most Scots. My ancestors came up the Cape Fear, then forked off up the South River and settled there, and eventually to Elizabethtown. However, "Frasiers Ridge", a fictionalized place, is supposedly somewhere near Grandfather Mountain. Being from NC, we know that the frequent trips made from there to "Cross Creek" and Wilmington are very impractical. However, I think the author is just trying to tie in the 2-3 areas of NC that the Scottish predominantly colonized.
You're not related to some of those Pridgens or Anders in that area are you?

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I'm part of that Cape Fear Valley bunch of Scots also. Moore, Lowe, Thompson and McConkey are some of our family lines. I'm sure there are more but I don't have those records available right now.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
my mom was an irish Catholic nun at one point in life....

therapy helps...🤣🤣🤣

OMG I want to take that and RUN!

At least tell if your father is a Father.
Can’t stay a nun I reckon once you’ve had a little uh, child.