Who is getting their flu shot?

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
It will protect your uterus too. :D

I remember when my gf took her twin boy and girl to get the HPV shot. After it was over, she told them what it prevented. Zach spoke up from the back seat....'wait a minute. Do I even HAVE one of those??'. Of course the answer was no, you don't. So then came the indignant reply "so what did I just do that for? You had a coupon didn't you! Buy one and get one free!!" he was all kinds of pissed off and blamed his sister for him getting the shot.

Sounds like he knows his mom...coupon. lol

I get the flu shot late October, early November.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I get flu shot in November. Like Eric said it only a lasts for 4-6 months and flu is at its worst from feb to April.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I got the flu 5 times as a teenager. When I turned 18 I started getting the flu shot and haven’t had the flu since. I have to get it now every year for work but I would still get it even if not required.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Never had flu shot. Not sure ever had the flu if I did wasn’t bad. Guess if I ever get the knock you off your feet flu and survive it will start getting the shot

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
It only took me once of getting sicker than hell after a flu shot to decide to forgo a flu shot from then on

I've known a bunch of folks that have dealt with this. Can’t blame them for skipping it.

I’ve only had a slight soreness at the injection site. I’ve also gotten the flu occasionally when they picked the wrong variants.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
I had the flu once. And I can't take Tylenol for a fever. I did not enjoy the 103 temp and ice baths to bring it down. It took me months to get my strength back. I will get the shot next week. It may help, it may not, but if there is a chance it keeps me from going through that again I will take it!

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’m just curious what was the reason/thought behind the doctor’s advice? I’m wanting to get the flu shot not not have to be sick again!
Not sure wish I wouldve asked, figured it was normal protocol. I'm gonna call today and inquire.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Got mine yesterday. Why? My 6 year old daughter needed hers and she hates getting shots. I mean, throws punches at nurses kinda hate. Haha. I figure it’d be kinda $h!tty to make her get hers with me sitting beside her not getting mine.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wife & I got our flu shots a couple of weeks ago.

Been getting a flu shot every year since 1976 or so, and never had a problem (or the flu).

I & and the rest of my family experienced the Hong Kong flu in 1968, and once was enough......

CarolinaReaper

Never have gotten one and don't plan to this year either. When I was around 15 my dad got one, basically because my mom talked him into it. The next day he looked like he was literally on deaths doorstep. Bedridden for about 4 days, fever, shakes, aches, all of it. I told myself right then they weren't about to put that sh*t in me.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Knock on wood, I just don't get sick, not even colds or sniffles. I took one flu shot...one...in my life, my doctor back then "donated" it to me. It was like ten years ago. Sick as a damn dog, laid on the couch for over week. I've said Thanks but No Thanks ever since, think I'll just keep running with what brought me this far....

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I certainly believe in individual choice when it comes to vaccinations and respect it. But those that have never had the actual flu, not “a little touch of the flu”, you might change your tune about getting one every year after if you actually contracted it. There is no such thing as a touch of the flu …

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I certainly believe in individual choice when it comes to vaccinations and respect it. But those that have never had the actual flu, not “a little touch of the flu”, you might change your tune about getting one every year after if you actually contracted it. There is no such thing as a touch of the flu …

I completely agree, but when you're a psychically active(running 6 miles a day, and doing P90x in the evenings) 28 yr old, "juicing" for breakfast and lunch and eating a healthy diet, then get the flu and have pneumonia around a week after having the vaccine, you might not want to get it again.

I agree that not getting the shot, may lead to me getting it, but my track record with the shot means that I will get it.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Got mine yesterday. Why? My 6 year old daughter needed hers and she hates getting shots. I mean, throws punches at nurses kinda hate. Haha. I figure it’d be kinda $h!tty to make her get hers with me sitting beside her not getting mine.

My son gets upset when someone mentions he is getting shots but he had fun helping me get a flu shot a few years ago. I went first, Nurse gave him gloves and alcohol to clean my arm. I didn’t even grimace, in fact was laughing and smiling all the way through the ordeal. It was his turn and he did well, he had to be tough like Daddy lol.

He still hates shots.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It only took me once of getting sicker than hell after a flu shot to decide to forgo a flu shot from then on
Ha! It only took me getting the flu once to realize I need to get it when it works out for me….. I get it about every other year if I happen to be at the doctors office……I have never made a visit just to get it…..most people you see walking around saying they have a touch of the flu……. Have the common cold…. The real deal flu will put your ass down for days!!
Had a physical yesterday and got the flu shot …… I even inquired about the vaccine booster ( not necessary according to my doc)
They will only give it on Wednesday and you have to make an appointment……they didn’t want to take a chance of wasting doses by not using them in the same day!! I laughed and told the nurse that made no sense at all….. you have all those people in the office for visits and because it’s not Wednesday they can’t get it….. showed me just how necessary the booster shot really is!

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ha! It only took me getting the flu once to realize I need to get it when it works out for me….. I get it about every other year if I happen to be at the doctors office……I have never made a visit just to get it…..most people you see walking around saying they have a touch of the flu……. Have the common cold…. The real deal flu will put your ass down for days!!
Had a physical yesterday and got the flu shot …… I even inquired about the vaccine booster ( not necessary according to my doc)
They will only give it on Wednesday and you have to make an appointment……they didn’t want to take a chance of wasting doses by not using them in the same day!! I laughed and told the nurse that made no sense at all….. you have all those people in the office for visits and because it’s not Wednesday they can’t get it….. showed me just how necessary the booster shot really is!
I’ve only had the flu once. I spent 6 days in the hospital. It SUCKED. That also happened to be the year I took my one and only flu shot. I’ll pass. I don’t begrudge anyone who gets one, that’s their choice. It’s just not for me. Same thing with the COVID vaccine.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The funny thing is that I would be a lot more likely to get the flu shot if they switched over to the mRNA method of creating it. The extremely short lead time necessary to create that shot would allow them to see what the dominant flu strain is going to be before they create the shot for it. The fact that it is now a crapshoot on if it will even be effective is why I don't bother with it.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Last year I got the flu vaccine in November, got the flu sometime around January. Kept me out of work a solid week
By the time I got the shot they had adjusted it twice, so it's far from perfect.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Last year I got the flu vaccine in November, got the flu sometime around January. Kept me out of work a solid week
By the time I got the shot they had adjusted it twice, so it's far from perfect.
Wife & I get them at CVS or Walgreens, whichever we might be headed towards after the Flu vaccines become available.
This year was late August / early September and I've wondered if that might have been a little early.
Wondering if there's any downside to getting a 2nd Flu shot...maybe December

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wife & I get them at CVS or Walgreens, whichever we might be headed towards after the Flu vaccines become available.
This year was actually the 1st week of September and I've wondered if that might have been a little early.
Wondering if there's any downside to getting a 2nd Flu shot...maybe December
Not that I'm aware of. It would simply be a booster shot it would seem to me. I'm not sure you'd be able to find flu vaccine in December, we stop stocking it in November.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Got mine this morning. Feeling a little feverish now with a terrible backache.

Might be related to the flu shot, but it might be all the bourbon i put down at a wedding over the weekend too.

Update, felt much better yesterday after hydration and sleep. I think it was the four roses, makers mark, elijah craig, but it could have been the patron and shotgunned coors at the end too. heck of a weekend.