Dodge Charger Heat Not Working - New Dodge ad

CarolinaReaper

Well as some of you already know, I purchased a 2015 Dodge Charger back in May. SO FAR, she's given me no real issues up until this point. (knocks on wood furiously) All but some rattling noise somewhere inside my dash area that bugs the hell out of me every time I hit the gas. But my pop says that's what I get for straight piping it and letting it vibrate the car all to hell LOL. At any rate, the other morning as I was leaving for work, one of those mornings we had here where it was in the high 40's or low 50's, I attempted to run my heat a little on the way into work. Now, this was the first time I'v ever done so since I bought her in late May and never needed to try the heat. No matter how high I cranked up the thermostat on my touchscreen under climate controls, ZERO hot air would come out of my vents. Even on high. Nothing. Now, my A/C works great, cools down the car in no time. But that won't do me any good in a couple months. Now, I took it to a local shop and they claimed since it wasn't overheating, and my radiator wasn't leaking fluid that it was likely air pockets in the hoses that needed to be vacuumed out ?? I had never heard of that personally. After telling me that the mechanic said they didn't have the right kit to clean it out?? So left with no results. My dad says it's a fuse, my heater core or the valve not opening to let the warm air in. Now look fellas, I don't know sh*t from apple butter when it comes to cars, I'll tell you that plainly, ain't gonna lie and say I do. But I do know I'm driving a fairly expensive car, to me anyway and the damn thing has no heat, when my 99 Saturn I had years ago had heat. Something ain't right about that. LMAO.

Any ideas on what you think the main culprit could be? Just wanna garner some opinions before I take it back to the dealership to get fixed. I'm thinking about bringing up the fact that the ad stated AC/Heat when I bought it, but hell, it's a used car, don't reckon that would do any good for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There is a bypass valve that is probably stuck, sometimes these are under the hood near the firewall and easily accessible but I have no idea about the Dodge you're driving.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
If it's like my old Dodge truck, the heater core may be clogged up. Take the hoses off the heater core and backflush it to see if junk comes out of it.
You do this with a regular hose pipe. Don't try to overpressure it.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
You bought a dodge, don’t get mad when it does dodge stuff🤷‍♂️

I wouldn’t go back to that shop though. It’s likely something electronic. Unless someone has blocked off the heater core because it was leaking.

CarolinaReaper

If there were air pockets you would be overheating. Where does your temperature gauge run? I'm betting the blend door is stuck. I would try to google "reset 2015 dodge charger blend door actuator".

Temperature gauge stays smack in the middle or just under the middle, towards the cold. So it runs just fine temp wise.

CarolinaReaper

So just googled that and there is actually a blend door right in the same area that god awful rattling/vibrating noise is coming from in my dash. Seems to be a likely candidate.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Blend door most likely. I had one go bad on a Buick i owned, that I bought from my Aunt's estate when she passed. On that car it was an easy fix. Removed the glove box and the actuator was held on by 2 screws and an electrical quick connector. It was less than a 15 min job.

I bet yours is stuck and that rattle you are hearing is actually a clicking coming from the actuator.

There should be a youtube video on it for your model.

tarheelshooter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Do you have dual temperature control?
If so then you have two blend door actuators. Dual ATC works independently so you may have heat on one side but not the other. Check the passenger side to see if heat works.
Ratcheting/ticking noise is most likely from the actuator itself and hopefully not a broken door.

CarolinaReaper

Do you have dual temperature control?
If so then you have two blend door actuators. Dual ATC works independently so you may have heat on one side but not the other. Check the passenger side to see if heat works.
Ratcheting/ticking noise is most likely from the actuator itself and hopefully not a broken door.

No heat from either side.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I've lived in NC a LONG time. Probably longer than you've been alive. I've used a vehicle heater MAYBE twice. If it costs more than $50, I'd forget about it and pray for further climate change.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Have a Dodge Ram diesel pickup doing same thing . Thought might be thermostat but summer got here and the AC works like it always has. Guess before much longer will have to figure out what’s going on with it. Hard to get frost off windshield with cold air.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All good suggestions on things to look for. But, my very first check would be to see if BOTH heater hoses are hot. If so, you have circulation of coolant through the core. If not, look for a valve in the heater hose routing. Many vehicles with A/C have a valve to cut off the hot water from the heater core when the temp control switch is in the cold position.
If blend door is stuck you will hear the actuator popping normally. If what you are hearing is a rattle, it could be a linkage has come loose......maybe..

timber

Twelve Pointer
Might just be me reading it wrong, but what would the thermostat have to do with the AC?

nothing with the ac. Originally when heat stopped working thought could be thermostat. Don’t know weather turned warm didn’t need heater so didn’t pursue it at the time. Could be blend door as was mentioned. Had that happen on a Chevrolet but this didn’t seem the same

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
nothing with the ac. Originally when heat stopped working thought could be thermostat. Don’t know weather turned warm didn’t need heater so didn’t pursue it at the time. Could be blend door as was mentioned. Had that happen on a Chevrolet but this didn’t seem the same
Gotcha, figured I was reading it wrong.