Heck of a trout bite today

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Nice day of fishing. Plenty of drum and trout.
vTjhOyX.jpg

7ZXmkFm.jpg

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
Has anyone been out lately? Plans right now are to head out Friday and Sat morning for some inshore bite.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
^^We fished a couple day ago. Bite was just ok but not great on my end. It's been more of a early morning/late afternoon bite with the water temps. Getting a limit of specks hasn't required to much effort, but we have not fished as hard as we normally do because of the dang wind. Plenty of slot size drum around too.

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
^^We fished a couple day ago. Bite was just ok but not great on my end. It's been more of a early morning/late afternoon bite with the water temps. Getting a limit of specks hasn't required to much effort, but we have not fished as hard as we normally do because of the dang wind. Plenty of slot size drum around too.
Thanks. Yea the wind had me cancel a couple trips this year with my boat size.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
My Son and I went out in that blow yesterday and managed to catch our limit in Trout and caught a few slot and under slot reds. Had to grind to find bites. Never really got "into" them at any spot. One positive was our class of fish was 18-22". We kept enough to eat and released the rest including the 22". Not bad considering the conditions. We got a late start, so I'm guessing we missed the morning bite. Either way, any day is a good day when I can spend it with my Son.

WaZsQOQ.jpg

qqCWIKU.jpg

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My neighbor and I took his Skiff on a trip to the coast this past weekend and limited out each day. Friday the wind was lightest and the limit came easily. Saturday the wind picked up considerably, and it was a bit of a grind out there. Sunday brought the same conditions as Saturday, but we knew what we were doing a bit more, and got it done again. No huge trout, but Friday was a 50+ fish day. The keys were an early start and staying out of the wind.

Popping Cork.jpgSpook.jpg

darenative

Twelve Pointer
My Son and I went out in that blow yesterday and managed to catch our limit in Trout and caught a few slot and under slot reds. Had to grind to find bites. Never really got "into" them at any spot. One positive was our class of fish was 18-22". We kept enough to eat and released the rest including the 22". Not bad considering the conditions. We got a late start, so I'm guessing we missed the morning bite. Either way, any day is a good day when I can spend it with my Son.

WaZsQOQ.jpg

qqCWIKU.jpg
Looks like yall were dodging squalls all day.
By the time they got to our end of the sound, they had 55-60 mph winds in em from 3-6 pm. Crap was rough and bad looking behind the house yesterday.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like yall were dodging squalls all day.
By the time they got to our end of the sound, they had 55-60 mph winds in em from 3-6 pm. Crap was rough and bad looking behind the house yesterday.

We were 15 miles from the ramp when that squall showed up wet looking. One quick look at the radar and he headed for the hill. Got there about 3:30. It was sporty. 🤓

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
We did well on our day and a half trip to the coast. One morning got into the reds (all slot except 3 over) with a couple trout. Then afternoon was a bust with one red. Next morning same area was mostly all trout with a couple reds mixed in. Caught one spanish to which was new inshore there for me. Flounder we could have had a 10 man limit both days. Was a big let down with such a short season coming up but hoping to make it down again during that time.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We did well on our day and a half trip to the coast. One morning got into the reds (all slot except 3 over) with a couple trout. Then afternoon was a bust with one red. Next morning same area was mostly all trout with a couple reds mixed in. Caught one spanish to which was new inshore there for me. Flounder we could have had a 10 man limit both days. Was a big let down with such a short season coming up but hoping to make it down again during that time.
It always amazes me how the same spot can have different fish the next day, even on the same tide with the same tactics.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Yesterday’s fishing tried my patience catching a few here and there….very scattered bites. We barely caught enough to keep focused.

Today made up for yesterday with decent midday topwater fishing. Bite didn’t last too long, but it was good while it lasted.
EB9F1A25-338C-4A4E-8186-C2211129E3AA.jpeg

5B6A9A90-9B96-4769-B45D-A294228B75FA.jpeg

Last edited:

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Nothing but this species that is too rare to keep. Like to find some trout. Today is a washout.

Attachments

• IMG_2838(1).jpg
    IMG_2838(1).jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 16

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Made a Covid isolation solo trip yesterday. Pecked around and caught a couple trout and a slot drum before finally finding a school of trout. Caught 9 more in about an hour. Decided to wrap it up around noon, but on way to ramp got lucky and ran across the old drum on bait. Caught one right away then had another bite but didn’t come tight. Fun day, but I always think, “if I’d had somebody w me we would’ve caught 25-30”. 😂4D3AC569-D0CA-4E55-9EC0-15AD595F58AE.jpeg3CDD8A61-04D4-4746-AF01-8469E08403DC.jpeg72697D67-F4F6-4AB0-B020-628AE1BBF268.jpegC7EE8093-E2BE-4EA6-9B23-59E4765D31B2.jpeg

TH80

Eight Pointer
Fished rose bay this morning. Bite was good early but slowed once the clouds broke and the sun came out. Had a limit of trout in about a hour. Nothing huge. All fish caught were between 13”-18”. Also caught one small drum. Nice peaceful day on the water!

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Fished Hyde Co last 2 days. Saturday morning was as good as it gets with two of us catching over 50 trout and a slot drum in about 2 hours…..topwater, mirrolure, yozuri, and slick lures. This morning wasn’t as productive with two of us catching 9 trout, 3 drum. Did have a big trout attack bait 15’ from boat in clear enough water to see she was full grown. Looking forward to the next few months.

PTman

Four Pointer
i went sunday to start breaking in the new boat and was pleasantly surprised. had one of my best days as far as quality goes. ended up around 40 w/ most of those being keepers and 12 over 18". hopefully i can repeat that this weekend

PTman

Four Pointer
heading back down tuesday to pick up the boat after having electronics and PP installed. hope the wind dies down like it is supposed to and can have a good report

Starfan

Eight Pointer
Rented a house down East. Planned a 2-1/2 day assault that wound up being a decent 1/2 day effort catching 9 trout Friday evening. Been blowing 20-30 all day down here. Spent the day maintaining and rigging tackle. Hope it stays cool!! View attachment 77947
That’s my neck of the woods. Pops and me fished Friday and Saturday in almost impossible conditions. We didn’t catch but 25 or so between the two days but they were all quality fish.

PTman

Four Pointer
yesterday was tough. found lots of menhaden in a couple creeks but nothing feeding. rode all over the lower neuse. only caught 2 keepers b/w 18 and 20" and a bunch of rat reds

darenative

Twelve Pointer
yesterday was tough. found lots of menhaden in a couple creeks but nothing feeding. rode all over the lower neuse. only caught 2 keepers b/w 18 and 20" and a bunch of rat reds
Happened on my end too. Need a few days for the water to clear up and the water temp to stabilize. Our water temp dropped over 10° in a couple days.