Colorado semi-live

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
so wrestled where to put this thread as it's a scouting trip and then elk hunt,,, but since it's a muzzleloader elk hunt this sub-forum was it,,,

a retired guy I served with and I drew this tag after about 10 years of talking about it,,, he gets in tomorrow sometime,,, gonna spend from now to Friday scouting and the season opens Saturday

Got to our area at 1:30,,, gonna stay in a hotel for at least two days to a) get some work done in the evenings,,,and b) the town is at 7700 ft so I need that for two days of sleeping before trying to sleep at 9000 feet,,, Montana I slept at 4000 feet,,, old self needs to hit these altitudes gradually,,,

stopped in at the chosen hotel to make the reservation (reconned others, but this one had more "space" for me to mess with dogs in the evening) then I head to do a drive through of the the area we have a tag for,,,

was a great initial trip - wanted to do it this past Spring but things kept me from it,,,

didn't see elk, but saw the area and was able to put eyes on the four areas that my map work and other data gathering pointed me to,,, I pretty much crossed one off, another is iffy because of beetle kill of nearly ALL the conifers (thermal cover) so narrowed it some,,,

did see a cow moose, that's always cool,,,

got till 19 September to find and kill an elk,,, likely won't, but won't be from a lack of trying,,,,

have two muzzle loaders with me,,, a caplock 50 hawken is my primary,,, also brought a 54 cal flintlock,,,

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
You are the man........... and the man I always wanted to be years ago. I sure hope you are successful but I know you will be having a great time.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
so wrestled where to put this thread as it's a scouting trip and then elk hunt,,, but since it's a muzzleloader elk hunt this sub-forum was it,,,

a retired guy I served with and I drew this tag after about 10 years of talking about it,,, he gets in tomorrow sometime,,, gonna spend from now to Friday scouting and the season opens Saturday

Got to our area at 1:30,,, gonna stay in a hotel for at least two days to a) get some work done in the evenings,,,and b) the town is at 7700 ft so I need that for two days of sleeping before trying to sleep at 9000 feet,,, Montana I slept at 4000 feet,,, old self needs to hit these altitudes gradually,,,

stopped in at the chosen hotel to make the reservation (reconned others, but this one had more "space" for me to mess with dogs in the evening) then I head to do a drive through of the the area we have a tag for,,,

was a great initial trip - wanted to do it this past Spring but things kept me from it,,,

didn't see elk, but saw the area and was able to put eyes on the four areas that my map work and other data gathering pointed me to,,, I pretty much crossed one off, another is iffy because of beetle kill of nearly ALL the conifers (thermal cover) so narrowed it some,,,

did see a cow moose, that's always cool,,,

got till 19 September to find and kill an elk,,, likely won't, but won't be from a lack of trying,,,,

have two muzzle loaders with me,,, a caplock 50 hawken is my primary,,, also brought a 54 cal flintlock,,,

Keeping it simple

Good luck & Enjoy !

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Don't know how dry it is out there but if dry you might have to hunt water holes/wallows to have any luck. By Sept. 19 you should be breathing pretty well as the body adjusts.

I'm not the envious type, but after living there for most of 15 years then being away for 45 I sure wish I could be humping those hills again, but "Time and the Tapestry" stands in the way.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
One of these days in the near future I am going to get to smell the burning of some 2f powder as I send a round ball out across the rockies toward an elk......

I wish you much success and look forward to more pics.

Randy

Ten Pointer
Good Luck! It should be a fun hunt during a really nice time of year to be in the Rockies.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Oh yea, this is gonna be fun. That high ground makes the oxygen scarce but moving along slowly and easing up on that bull will be so exciting. Good luck, be safe and I sure hope you get to burn some powder.

Lawnscaper

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Good luck, be safe and have fun, we bowhunted elk in Colorado 12 years ago, I'll bring a gun the next time!