Remington 750

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
These replaced the 7400 and have been discontinued. I know where there is a one NIB, black synthetic stock, in 308 Winny. I can get it for $700. Thoughts and comments please...

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know where one is NIB wood in .35 Whelen that you couldn't touch for that price. It isn't mine.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I know a fella that hunts with one, it's a 30/06. I dont believe he's had any issues with it. I know several people with 742/7400's that have never had an issue, every one I have owned has jammed. I think $700 is a reasonable price new in box. I'd buy it

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know a fella that hunts with one, it's a 30/06. I dont believe he's had any issues with it. I know several people with 742/7400's that have never had an issue, every one I have owned has jammed. I think $700 is a reasonable price new in box. I'd buy it
The ole 742 Jammaster! Been a lot of deer killed with one. They’re picky about ammo IME, but if you keep em clean, and slick up the rails with an emery cloth or a fine stone and that usually “fixes” the jam issue.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I would pass.
I would as well. Bought a used but like new 750 carbine in .308, violating my own principle against owning any more Remington semi-autos deer rifles, and was disappointed once again. Failure to feed problems with multiple standard factory loads, acquired another mag, no change, traded it to my gunsmith.

Reactions: CRC

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
The ole 742 Jammaster! Been a lot of deer killed with one. They’re picky about ammo IME, but if you keep em clean, and slick up the rails with an emery cloth or a fine stone and that usually “fixes” the jam issue.
I had a 742 in .280 that I gave $200 for. It was probably one of the most accurate production rifles I've ever shot. It would just about put 3 shots in the same hole with factory core lokts. Out of a 5 shot magazine, it would jam 3 times. Tried just about everything to fix it short of having the chamber honed. I wish I would have kept it.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had a 742 in .280 that I gave $200 for. It was probably one of the most accurate production rifles I've ever shot. Out of a 5 shot magazine, it would jam 3 times. Tried just about everything to fix it short of having the chamber honed. I wish I would have kept it.
Especially in a .280….

buckman84

Eight Pointer
Have one chambered in 243 and has never let me down! Probably my most often go to rifle. Picked it up used when I was 18 for a song!

Reactions: DRS

sandhills hunter

Ten Pointer
My dad bought me a 742 sometime around 1976 or so. 30-06. killed many a deer and I mean a many, and couple of bear with it. Never jammed.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Have one chambered in 243 and has never let me down! Probably my most often go to rifle. Picked it up used when I was 18 for a song!
I picked up a 742 in .243 about 5 years ago for $300. I spent around $100 for a new clip/magazine and 2 boxes of factory Core Lokts. This was after I read " LeeRoy's Ramblings" to stop it from jamming. It shot tight groups but wear and galling in the receiver just didn't leave me confident enough for hunting. Also it took 3 hands to unload it. I loved that gun but Sold it anyhow about 6 months ago for $300.

BAR25-06

Six Pointer
I had a 30-06 742 carbine that was trouble free. Should have kept it despite the ear splitting concussion and nuclear fireball. Had a buddy that bought a .270 7400 brand new. It was gorgeous but would not get through a nagazine without hanging up.
These rifles are basically very simple conversions to semi automatic from the 760 pump that preceded them to market.
Pull the forearm off and you can see what little design work was done. I used one for years but for me their real purpose is to make you appreciate a Browning BAR.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I had a 30-06 742 carbine that was trouble free. Should have kept it despite the ear splitting concussion and nuclear fireball. Had a buddy that bought a .270 7400 brand new. It was gorgeous but would not get through a nagazine without hanging up.
These rifles are basically very simple conversions to semi automatic from the 760 pump that preceded them to market.
Pull the forearm off and you can see what little design work was done. I used one for years but for me their real purpose is to make you appreciate a Browning BAR.
From a beauty, fit and finish and materials standpoint I agree with you last comment. I have owned both too. Both were super reliable for me. The 742 was more accurate.