Beaver Hoop for My Nephew

KrisB

Ten Pointer
This is the first beaver hoop I've ever made. I know it's nothing compared to Harold's beautiful beaver hoop that was up for the auction for his nephew, but I'm proud of it. The beaver pelt is a small one a fellow trapper/mentor gifted me last winter or the one before and I had it tanned at Moyle Mink and Tannery in Idaho, the best tannery in the US. The quality of their work is second to none. The ties I cut from an old tanned buckskin that I bought at a powwow back in high school. The hoop is a willow barrel hoop. I tied some turkey feathers onto the bottom.

I made this for my nephew's 6th birthday, which was earlier this month. It'll be a bit late getting to him, but I hope he will like it. He's into nature like I am and I'm slowly teaching him the few things I know about, like wild edible plants (honeysuckle, wood-sorrel, etc), cicadas are cool, etc.

He and my sister and her family just moved to Florida from Germany. I'm hoping I'll get to take him fishing and maybe even hunting or trapping if he shows an interest as he gets older. I'm the only one on his mom's side of the family that is into this stuff, so I am his only hope! 😆

Attachments

• 20210818_221114_HDR.jpg
    20210818_221114_HDR.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210818_215239_HDR.jpg
    20210818_215239_HDR.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 40

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m sure he will think it’s the coolest present ever!

I sure think it’s cool!!!
You interested in adopting another nephew???
I’m available.
References available upon request.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
This is the first beaver hoop I've ever made. I know it's nothing compared to Harold's beautiful beaver hoop that was up for the auction for his nephew, but I'm proud of it. The beaver pelt is a small one a fellow trapper/mentor gifted me last winter or the one before and I had it tanned at Moyle Mink and Tannery in Idaho, the best tannery in the US. The quality of their work is second to none. The ties I cut from an old tanned buckskin that I bought at a powwow back in high school. The hoop is a willow barrel hoop. I tied some turkey feathers onto the bottom.

I made this for my nephew's 6th birthday, which was earlier this month. It'll be a bit late getting to him, but I hope he will like it. He's into nature like I am and I'm slowly teaching him the few things I know about, like wild edible plants (honeysuckle, wood-sorrel, etc), cicadas are cool, etc.

He and my sister and her family just moved to Florida from Germany. I'm hoping I'll get to take him fishing and maybe even hunting or trapping if he shows an interest as he gets older. I'm the only one on his mom's side of the family that is into this stuff, so I am his only hope! 😆

that is soooooo cool.

I grew up with an outdoors dad, scouting, playing in the woods, not on a farm but we had farms, and had a bunch of Choctaw buddies. I'm so thankful you're trying to get him thinking that way.

you're reminding me I need to stop working so much and take a few kids outside more often.