Spring/Summer Weather Thread

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Smoke-Forecast-9-p.m.-MDT-July-22-2021.jpg
Here's the smoke map for today, it's definitely pouring in on us. 20210713_150447.jpg
Here's a picture of a smoke column from last week in Washington. It was raising to around 18,000 feet with 50 mph winds measured at the top of the column. When the column really started building, it changed the surface wind direction and really started to pull in.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Does not have a lot of model support for becoming much of anything but might help enhance the rain chances mid week...

1627249985805.png

The we got to see what the heat ridge does.....most models still bring it into the area the first week of Aug with most models still saying several days of near 100 degree heat...though every few runs the NE trough wins out and keeps the heat south of NC.....it has not hit 100 here in over 2 years would love to make that 3.
1627250165568.png

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Lots of forecast temps of 95+ with some upper 90s isolated spots now on official forecasts from the NWS

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Next couple of days are gonna be nasty heat wise, though it is interesting to see how mixing and ground moisture will effect different parts of the state...

This is the map for tomorrow, the eastern half is lower due to all the rain we had the other day, this will make it hard for the dewpoint to mix out capping how hot the air can get ( though with the high DP's the heat index will be higher in eastern NC than western even though the actual temp is higher )

1627489174861.png

Here is the dewpoint map for the same time as above, the downsloping NW wind will mix out the air drying it out on the lee side of the mts allowing temps to soar....

1627489290626.png

Friday is gonna be the best chance for a 100 for most of NC, though a few places might flirt with it today.....still to closer to SC you get the better your chances...figure the normal spots like the southern coastal plains and south central sandhills look good for 100 Friday....

1627489538564.png

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I'm enjoying the light rain we've been having off and on for the past hour or 2. It thundered some earlier, but it's just been a mostly soft rain ever since.

I'm sitting out on the porch watching the birds at the feeders and I've got a book to read, some Hebrew to study, and a beer to drink. :D

timber

Twelve Pointer
I'm enjoying the light rain we've been having off and on for the past hour or 2. It thundered some earlier, but it's just been a mostly soft rain ever since.

I'm sitting out on the porch watching the birds at the feeders and I've got a book to read, some Hebrew to study, and a beer to drink. :D

you must be in town. Around here in the country you will need a blood transfusion from the mosquitos from all the rain we have had lately. Not so bad as long as you are walking but if you are still they are in attack mode

KrisB

Ten Pointer
you must be in town. Around here in the country you will need a blood transfusion from the mosquitos from all the rain we have had lately. Not so bad as long as you are walking but if you are still they are in attack mode
My feet have gotten quite a few mosquito bites over the last few evenings from sitting on the porch, let me tell you! I went in as soon as I saw one flying around this evening.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
After a couple of hot days to end this week we will see a big change next week, the front is gonna stall over the area and "wash out" bringing the chances of storms and heavy rain for much of the state next week....so a break from the heat, but chance for some big rainfall totals.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The summer pattern has really set in around my house, afternoon storms popping up all around me. Typically the difference in altitude splits them around my house and I'm left in the mini-version of a desert in a bowl. I've seen some nice rain around my house and haven't had a drop in days.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My feet have gotten quite a few mosquito bites over the last few evenings from sitting on the porch, let me tell you! I went in as soon as I saw one flying around this evening.

If you are just sitting on the porch check out getting a Thermacell. They are what most hunters use for mosquitos in the early hot deer season, and work well to provide an invisible mosquito barrier if you aren't moving.