Oh joy. I’m thrilled

How wonderful. These people are part of the problem with high real estate prices in our area, cashing in on the big city market and buying “cheaper” property in our areas.

Hate to tell ya, but Yancey has been blue. More traditional democrats, but still....

Having lived there for years previously and I still fish/hunt out there, I hope that these nuts don’t eff it up like Avl
Yancey went red big time (2-1) in 2020 for state and local elections. Long time “southern” democrats are getting tired of the far left stance there party has been taking.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
View attachment 70349
Maybe they’ll bring their voting habits out here too.

Well, you climbed out of the gutter. Maybe they've been lurking NCHF, and want to meet the guru.

Something tells me, though, as hard as it must have been to get out of that situation, and as hard as you had to fight yourself to do it... it'd be harder for a liberal to become conservative, in this climate.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Well, you climbed out of the gutter. Maybe they've been lurking NCHF, and want to meet the guru.

Something tells me, though, as hard as it must have been to get out of that situation, and as hard as you had to fight yourself to do it... it'd be harder for a liberal to become conservative, in this climate.
Hey that’s an optimistic way to look at it. Thanks for the kind words. Guru is too much credit tho. Just was fortunate enough to have a change in perspective at the right time. And yeah that’s why it’s so frustrating seeing it from the other side. It reinforces the mindset of “here’s why you can’t succeed. It’s not your fault. Just keep pointing the finger.” Last time I checked, equal opportunity does not mean equal OUTCOME. That part depends on me.

I was eating dinner with some church folks. Wife and I were not only the sole transplants, we were the only ones that live on the other side of the ridge lol. Got into a conversation with an old timer about our life down here and the people that are like family to us. He said something like “well we love meeting new people that move here because they enjoy and respect the way of life. What we don’t like is people fleeing other areas that have gone to hell, but then they come here and vote for the same type of policies that ruined the place they fled from. Especially when they get tired of it again and move elsewhere.” I try to consistently go to the county commissioner/town hall meetings. You’ll always see them come out of the wood work there. My favorite was the lady and her husband that said due to the lax gun laws and unhealthy obsession with firearms here, they hear so many gun shots “from fully automatic weapons” that they don’t feel any safer than they did back in Detroit. I did some side work for a guy last summer that was from NY. He paid pretty good but all he did was bitch about the way things are around here, most of which he didn’t have a clue.

On that same Reddit page I posted the pic from, someone said the WORST thing about living in the western region was the alarming number of confederate flags flying outside Asheville city limits in any direction. I can’t imagine how these people respond in situations of actual adversity.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Hey that’s an optimistic way to look at it. Thanks for the kind words. Guru is too much credit tho. Just was fortunate enough to have a change in perspective at the right time. And yeah that’s why it’s so frustrating seeing it from the other side. It reinforces the mindset of “here’s why you can’t succeed. It’s not your fault. Just keep pointing the finger.” Last time I checked, equal opportunity does not mean equal OUTCOME. That part depends on me.

I was eating dinner with some church folks. Wife and I were not only the sole transplants, we were the only ones that live on the other side of the ridge lol. Got into a conversation with an old timer about our life down here and the people that are like family to us. He said something like “well we love meeting new people that move here because they enjoy and respect the way of life. What we don’t like is people fleeing other areas that have gone to hell, but then they come here and vote for the same type of policies that ruined the place they fled from. Especially when they get tired of it again and move elsewhere.” I try to consistently go to the county commissioner/town hall meetings. You’ll always see them come out of the wood work there. My favorite was the lady and her husband that said due to the lax gun laws and unhealthy obsession with firearms here, they hear so many gun shots “from fully automatic weapons” that they don’t feel any safer than they did back in Detroit. I did some side work for a guy last summer that was from NY. He paid pretty good but all he did was bitch about the way things are around here, most of which he didn’t have a clue.

On that same Reddit page I posted the pic from, someone said the WORST thing about living in the western region was the alarming number of confederate flags flying outside Asheville city limits in any direction. I can’t imagine how these people respond in situations of actual adversity.

They're moving here in droves, too. I've seen more California plates in the last month, than I've seen in the last year... and I said the same thing around this time last year. 😦.

I feel the same way. I have no problem with people moving in and adopting the way of life here. Hell, I moved here. I'm not from here but, my family is. Spent a lot of time in these hills, as a kid.

Never fails, though. Every other day, some transplant gets on the local fb group, complaining about hearing gunshots, or their neighbors animals are making too much noise, or that the majority of restaurants are closed by 9, or that this place seems to lean more to the right, or that no one delivers food, or that there's no night-life or "real" bar scene. Hell, the places that serve beer shut the doors at 10.

Most succumb to the realization that these are the "quaint" reasons they moved here. Some struggle to deal and sell. Others set their hooks in, and try to change it to the s**thole they fled.

Wncbowhunter

Ten Pointer
Went through Burnsville last weekend and on town square I saw tags Fromm 11 different states. I would tell ya to keep them over there and out of Mitchell but we’ll they are here as well. Property values are outrageous and taxes are gonna sky rocket. Not to mention the number of acres available to hunt is gonna drop like a rock.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
This is another reason critical thinking skills aren't taught anymore, else people will realize that the new nice place they found got that way because of conservative residents and if they want it to stay nice, don't be a progressive twit.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Western Nc sounds like good place for the foreigners to settle. Maybe some of the Ny,Nj and Md transplant will go that way instead of here in eastern Nc

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
You keep em down there!!!
I was thinking same one thing for sure they must think the NC mtns are just purtier cause ain't none of em moving into Dickinson or Buchanan county population had dropped like rock since 90s. How bout your area little gentler ground see any city folk moving in. Reason I ask my aunt just bought brick home on 2acres for 110,000 near Rosedale and wasn't a fixer upper that house woulda run 175,000 in nc easy

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was thinking same one thing for sure they must think the NC mtns are just purtier cause ain't none of em moving into Dickinson or Buchanan county population had dropped like rock since 90s. How bout your area little gentler ground see any city folk moving in. Reason I ask my aunt just bought brick home on 2acres for 110,000 near Rosedale and wasn't a fixer upper that house woulda run 175,000 in nc easy
There was 15 acres of nice level ground (level for around here) with a 1800 sq ft house built in 2015, with 3 barns and a storage shed( all constructed after the house) sold for $98,000 in May. So property isn’t sky rocketing like some places.

Definitely see some folks moving in, but a lot leave very quickly. One that comes to mind is some retired cop from Massachusetts bought a house down the rd from us. He started trying to throw his weight around and was trying to tell folks that had lived there how things were gonna be. You know how that went over. One of the main things that happened after that was his neighbor, who had been letting him use his property to get to his house(not a deeded row) closed him off. Actual row hasn’t been used in 20 years and is in such disrepair it’s unnavigable( the reason the neighbor had begun letting the original owners cross his property to begin with) Long story short, retired Yankee cop lost his 💩 over it and demanded the old timer open his property back up to him. Old timer refused, retired Yankee cop takes him to court. Stubborn hillbilly judge agrees with old timer. No dice for Yankee. Puts his place on the market. Old timer agrees to lease him a ROW for 30 days. Yankee sells property, new owners are nice folks. Old timer allows them to use the access across his property.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
There was 15 acres of nice level ground (level for around here) with a 1800 sq ft house built in 2015, with 3 barns and a storage shed( all constructed after the house) sold for $98,000 in May. So property isn’t sky rocketing like some places.

Definitely see some folks moving in, but a lot leave very quickly. One that comes to mind is some retired cop from Massachusetts bought a house down the rd from us. He started trying to throw his weight around and was trying to tell folks that had lived there how things were gonna be. You know how that went over. One of the main things that happened after that was his neighbor, who had been letting him use his property to get to his house(not a deeded row) closed him off. Actual row hasn’t been used in 20 years and is in such disrepair it’s unnavigable( the reason the neighbor had begun letting the original owners cross his property to begin with) Long story short, retired Yankee cop lost his 💩 over it and demanded the old timer open his property back up to him. Old timer refused, retired Yankee cop takes him to court. Stubborn hillbilly judge agrees with old timer. No dice for Yankee. Puts his place on the market. Old timer agrees to lease him a ROW for 30 days. Yankee sells property, new owners are nice folks. Old timer allows them to use the access across his property.
I just can’t wrap my head around that philosophy...being the new guy in town and thinking that being a prick and wanting to change stuff is gonna somehow put you in better standing in the community. Might be that arrogance tho...thinking so highly of themselves that they can’t fathom the idea that people might not put up with it. We know who all the other transplants that live on this road are. They don’t ever wave back when ya drive by. Just stare like this .
1626796938388.jpeg
I give it a good 5 times and then give up. Maybe they’re going thru a rough patch cuz their Honda Fit won’t make it up their gravel driveway. Idk

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
They're moving here in droves, too. I've seen more California plates in the last month, than I've seen in the last year... and I said the same thing around this time last year. 😦.

I feel the same way. I have no problem with people moving in and adopting the way of life here. Hell, I moved here. I'm not from here but, my family is. Spent a lot of time in these hills, as a kid.

Never fails, though. Every other day, some transplant gets on the local fb group, complaining about hearing gunshots, or their neighbors animals are making too much noise, or that the majority of restaurants are closed by 9, or that this place seems to lean more to the right, or that no one delivers food, or that there's no night-life or "real" bar scene. Hell, the places that serve beer shut the doors at 10.

Most succumb to the realization that these are the "quaint" reasons they moved here. Some struggle to deal and sell. Others set their hooks in, and try to change it to the s**thole they fled.
I imagine Concord will be swarmed with Californians due to Red Bull coming to the old Phillip Morris location

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
I just can’t wrap my head around that philosophy...being the new guy in town and thinking that being a prick and wanting to change stuff is gonna somehow put you in better standing in the community. Might be that arrogance tho...thinking so highly of themselves that they can’t fathom the idea that people might not put up with it. We know who all the other transplants that live on this road are. They don’t ever wave back when ya drive by. Just stare like this .
View attachment 70375
I give it a good 5 times and then give up. Maybe they’re going thru a rough patch cuz their Honda Fit won’t make it up their gravel driveway. Idk
Just human nature, and not just with neighbors, I've worked in a few places, including the military; where the place is well run, but as soon as the plant manager/CO retires...boom. Some prick takes over who just can't leave well enough alone and has to stir :poop: up. As soon as production/morale go south, they double down on the stoopid. Then their catch phrase always starts with "where I used to work.....":rolleyes: No wonder they got rid of your dumb ass!!

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
I used to work some in the mountains and the locals (born and raised there) were always complaining about the transplants. Other than rising prices, the one thing they complained about the most was a transplant buying 1-2 acres and thinking they owned the entire mountain including every deer, turkey, and bear

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Its an American thing

There are lines of demarkation within the US, the arrogant self entitled SOB's who are owed everything and then somewhere north of you it stops where normal people live
It’s not entirely exclusive to Americans. Several years ago there was a large family that moved to rural Polk county from Toronto. The adults, seems like there were 5 or 6 of them, used to show up to county commissioners meetings and complain loudly about how they feared for their safety because Americans could own handguns and the county should do something about that.

They were quite the nuisance for awhile, they eventually moved away I think. Least wise I haven’t heard my Dad mention them in quite some time.

I will say I’ve never met another Canadian who was anywhere near so annoying and such a PITA as those folks.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Its an American thing

There are lines of demarkation within the US, the arrogant self entitled SOB's who are owed everything and then somewhere north of you it stops where normal people live

So your saying there are no a—holes in Canada

timber

Twelve Pointer
read further down, my first point was the lines of demarkation within the US not North America, what part of NY are you from ;)

The closes thing to NY as I get is a NY strip steak and that’s only if they out of ribeyes. Never been to Ny but twice in my life. First time didn’t have choice. Was young parents took me to see the Worlds Fair back when they had it. The second time was going to NY to get a deed signed on a tract of land. Was driving down the NJ turnpike crossed a big bridge and ended up in Ny. Was short trip made a u-turn in the middle of the street and got back across the bridge. I’m sure not all NY is like that but that was a nasty hole what mile or so saw of it