Reasonably priced Yeti alternatives?

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
After the past week at Scout camp, I’d like to step up from the standard igloo cooler to a rotomolded model.

Considering the 45-50 quart coolers from USA made Cordova or Kenai. Blue also looks like a reasonable option, though not USA made.

I’ll use it on 3-5 day camping trips & also as a “wet aging” option during deer season.

Anyone have one of these & care to comment?

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Gatr coolers look pretty nice, I haven't seen one in person though. Prices seem to be very reasonable online.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
everyone slams yeti but they want one as good as them :unsure:

I have the following (in various sizes and acquired in various ways),,, all work well,,,

yeti
K2
Grizzly
Ozark Trails,,,

my only issue with my Ozark Trails is the drain plug is HUGE (think bathtub sized) so it drains ice when you drain water,,,,
everyone likes the "one they have" so you'll get 47 different opinions on "yeti like coolers",,,,,,

I'd get more Ozark Trails but I can't get myself to go into a Walmart anymore,,, that place is a Covid vector!!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Everbilt has been working well for me when I use it. They are occasionally at Home Depot on Black Friday events but I haven't seen them stocked there.
Prepare to get plenty of exercise with the rubber straps though, I dislke those kind when you're frequently accessing the cooler. Look at how it will be used, the walmart coolers have some of the easiest access fasteners.

Last edited:

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
get a yeti if you want a yeti. Places like the Neuse Sports Shop have day after Christmas sales where they liquidate a lot of their inventory. A few years ago I picked up a 20qt yeti for $149.00 on that sale. Also check cabelas bargain cave. I picked up a 65 quart yeti at the Garner store thinking it was a 45 quart for $179.00. It was unboxed but otherwise unused.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Theyre all pretty much the same. Even Yeti was a rip off. They found and exploited a loop hole that IceyTek left behind and ramped up the marketing while IT was laying in the dirt wondering wtf happened after yeti cold cocked them from behind.
I’ve owned Yeti, Calcutta, Rtic, igloo, Coleman, Orca, Moeller, and probably more than I can’t remember. If the 3-4 rotomolded brands ive owned, they were all pretty much the same. It just depends on whether you felt inadequate in your manhood enough to buy a Yeti or not.

thandy

Ten Pointer
I have a yeti 65 and a couple of smaller Rtic as well as the walmart version. To me Rtic is as close as it gets to the Yeti and they are cheaper. The Ozark Trail are good coolers but to me seem bigger and heaver for the same cooler.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Extreme has been working well for me when I use it. They are occasionally at Home Depot on Black Friday events but I haven't seen them stocked there.
Prepare to get plenty of exercise with the rubber straps though, I dislke those kind when you're frequently accessing the cooler. Look at how it will be used, the walmart coolers have some of the easiest access fasteners.

if a person is in and out of them often such as a “beer cooler” or “drink cooler”, the yetis and alike are not going to do much more than a cheaper cooler.

Have a yeti 105, rtic 45 and have handled grizzly, orions and ozark trails. All seem nice to me and all seem like they would get the job done. If you're looking for closest to Yeti then the RTIC is very similar, I have an older one that I think must've been made prior to the lawsuit because it is identical in every way.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The most reasonably priced yeti alternatives are made by Coleman and Igloo. Like others have said...if you're going in and out of the cooler for drinks, you're not going to see much of an improvement by going with the anti-gun cooler.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Don’t think there are much difference in them. Whatever one you can find the best deal on. Orca’s are made in USA and have a great warranty. Whatever one you can find on sale is what I’d buy.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have a yeti. It was a gift and its been a good cooler. It holds ice just fine. I use an old Coleman in the back of the truck for drinks for work everyday. It does just fine also. My problem with the yeti is it getting stolen. I dont leave it out anywhere and have to keep it locked up. Is that yetis fault heck no its the low down peices of crap that steal stuff.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
RTIC Is my favorite but take weight into consideration sucker is heavy with food and ice but they all have their place I have a large cube igloo I take on ling trips just for simple fact of conserving room have bigger RTIC if I'm camping a week for meats eggs and such then for drinks I just use Coleman because like said if your gonna be in and out lot ice ain't lasting. I also agree with theft issues in always pulling back in camp first thing looking see if its still there

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
I have a "Yeti" stencil that I mark all my coolers with. The more beer folks get out of them🥴, the more entertained they become. From time to time, I do get one stolen, must be the name :ROFLMAO:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
yeti has better ads- who cares about value? it's all about the lifestyle and anthems , right? :)

the 1:14 mark sells me. :) I want to mess with a tarpon standing on a yeti.

My "best" cooler was/is a coleman oscar that has been on many a boat rides and now doubles as a stool for low bush/ brush trimmings. LOL. $20 cooler for 35 years isnt too bad of a value.

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
I mentioned in the other thread on coolers my Magellan brand 20 qt. I just looked and they’ve got a 55 qt too. It’s just $170. If it does as well as my smaller one I’d say it’s well worth that. I’ve got a tundra 65 too. Using both it and the Magellan right now. They both hold ice similarly assuming you don’t open it constantly. I’d say for how much cheaper the Magellan is it would be worth a good look.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I mentioned in the other thread on coolers my Magellan brand 20 qt. I just looked and they’ve got a 55 qt too. It’s just $170. If it does as well as my smaller one I’d say it’s well worth that. I’ve got a tundra 65 too. Using both it and the Magellan right now. They both hold ice similarly assuming you don’t open it constantly. I’d say for how much cheaper the Magellan is it would be worth a good look.

I've looked at them at academy and they seem nice.

77f150 beast

Eight Pointer
Keep an eye on Academy website.I got my 55qt for 124.99 on one of their “hot deal” online sales and then done store pick up.I used it as a “food cooler”so opened approx. 3 times a day and kept it in the shade from Thursday to Sunday With only 2 bags of ice put in on Thursday.Not to bad if ta ask me.Now the beer cooler on the other hand is an extreme and got topped off with ice daily!!😁