Pups update

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Raising pups after their mother died on day 2 of their lives. Started with 14, had 11 when the mother died. Me and my wonderful lady tried to raise 5. My kennel partner and family had 6. We wound up saving 2, they raised 4 of the six. They are 7 weeks and all have had the first shot. Wormed. We moved all to the kennels yesterday and today. My little one was a little scared. I hope she'll be OK tonight. It has been an exhausting 7 weeks, but we'll worth it. I do have Corid in the water for coccidia. I know the pups will be stressed with the change. Got my fingers crossed. First pic is me and the two we raised, Beau and Bailey. The other pic is all six saying "Hello!" To big bother(half), Duke. All weigh between 9 and 12 pounds. Beau being the largest.received_944929869623656.jpegreceived_1480403395635671.jpeg

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Raising pups after their mother died on day 2 of their lives. Started with 14, had 11 when the mother died. Me and my wonderful lady tried to raise 5. My kennel partner and family had 6. We wound up saving 2, they raised 4 of the six. They are 7 weeks and all have had the first shot. Wormed. We moved all to the kennels yesterday and today. My little one was a little scared. I hope she'll be OK tonight. It has been an exhausting 7 weeks, but we'll worth it. I do have Corid in the water for coccidia. I know the pups will be stressed with the change. Got my fingers crossed. First pic is me and the two we raised, Beau and Bailey. The other pic is all six saying "Hello!" To big bother(half), Duke. All weigh between 9 and 12 pounds. Beau being the largest.View attachment 69737View attachment 69738

look at them tails,,,, running walkers!

I like them pups,,, glad you could save some

Reactions: DRS

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They can already out run me. LOL. They will meet Garmin on day, I hope, then we will even the odds. Looking forward to breaking them. They have already shown the desire to hunt.
It is amazing how much Garmin has changed things. These dogs I bought after the season was out you can hit the tone when they come up on a road and blow the horn and they will lay down in the ditch and wait on you. Someone spent quite a bit of time with them.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
It is amazing how much Garmin has changed things. These dogs I bought after the season was out you can hit the tone when they come up on a road and blow the horn and they will lay down in the ditch and wait on you. Someone spent quite a bit of time with them.
Truly amazing what I've seen it do especially on walker deer hounds . I no longer own deer hounds but it helps on bear hounds but I rarely need it other than tracking. It does help me when baying bear at night .If a bear is on the ground I can turn the collar lights on and he will move , I can usually keep turning the lights on until he will cross a road so I can catch the dogs. Amazing tool for hounds

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Truly amazing what I've seen it do especially on walker deer hounds . I no longer own deer hounds but it helps on bear hounds but I rarely need it other than tracking. It does help me when baying bear at night .If a bear is on the ground I can turn the collar lights on and he will move , I can usually keep turning the lights on until he will cross a road so I can catch the dogs. Amazing tool for hounds
That is what I was referring to was some running walkers I bought. They handle like a dream.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Back when was cat a fox hunting had 25 of the beep tracking collars and a wildlife tracking box. At the price I hear some are paying for the garmin collars would have put a right good hole in the pocket to run that many

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Back when was cat a fox hunting had 25 of the beep tracking collars and a wildlife tracking box. At the price I hear some are paying for the garmin collars would have put a right good hole in the pocket to run that many
Most of us still run both, telemetry and GPS collars.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Is that because of shorter battery life on the gospels
Yep, the telemetry are just for a backup in case they would get out of pocket or get hung up. I have never had to utilize them but one of the guys in the club had one out over a week. We all could track it and wound up getting it back off the telemetry collar.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
Here are my two that we raised after momma dog and 5 littermates died. Luckily my hunting buddy had a litter the day before mine and could take the last 3 alive to him. The momma took to two of them and raised them. She done a heckuva job.

These are off of Thomas’ Big Boy and one of my gyps. The Big Boy dog is a trailing machine and knows how to run his game to the gun barrell. He is a big strong dog and still has good move to him to be his age. This dog has never been in a fox pen and is a deer’s worst nightmare. Has been known to cold trail tracks 6 to 8 hrs old.

Attachments

• 8FADE772-F9FB-4399-95D1-7682A1E21F72.jpeg
    8FADE772-F9FB-4399-95D1-7682A1E21F72.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 6
  • CF5EB670-D717-4FF6-A89E-272A4706A19D.jpeg
    CF5EB670-D717-4FF6-A89E-272A4706A19D.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
Me and another buddy picked up a couple of Hills Weedkiller pups. Im pretty pumped about these as well.

Attachments

• D58FC16D-0FA3-4703-B626-A8D4C0C84476.jpeg
    D58FC16D-0FA3-4703-B626-A8D4C0C84476.jpeg
    386 KB · Views: 4
  • BF1C2D5B-4FE6-4BBD-8CE3-756AF9B4274E.jpeg
    BF1C2D5B-4FE6-4BBD-8CE3-756AF9B4274E.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 4

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Here are my two that we raised after momma dog and 5 littermates died. Luckily my hunting buddy had a litter the day before mine and could take the last 3 alive to him. The momma took to two of them and raised them. She done a heckuva job.

These are off of Thomas’ Big Boy and one of my gyps. The Big Boy dog is a trailing machine and knows how to run his game to the gun barrell. He is a big strong dog and still has good move to him to be his age. This dog has never been in a fox pen and is a deer’s worst nightmare. Has been known to cold trail tracks 6 to 8 hrs old.
Gteat looking pups, all four. Two of the best trailing dogs I have every owned were father and son, both lemon and white. The mother of our pups that died was a good hunter and trail dog too. This cross was a long time coming as the breeding was a result of line breeding and crossing all the bloodlines of our best hounds of the past 20 years.