Help me understand tipping the mate 15-20%

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Seems like a lot.

Assuming they’re also pulling in 10% of the $2200 base pay for the day, that gives him about $500 for a day helping at sea…seems like a lot to me.

Oh yeah…they want $ more to clean fish, too

If you have a bad day fishing and only catch a few fish any good mate is going to clean your fish for free. In Hatteras and Oregon Inlet the person that rents the cleaning station at the fish house gets that money. Morehead City is one of the few places in NC where mate makes money for cleaning fish.

Last edited:

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
If you have a bad day fishing and only catch a few fish any good mate is going to clean your fish for free. In Hatteras and Oregon Inlet the person that rents the cleaning station at the fish house gets that money. Morehead City is one of the few places in NC where mate makes money for cleaning fish.

Yeah....had to pay the last time we caught 5 fish.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
I know this is a different animal, but when I'm working as a mate on the dive boat I don't get a daily wage. My only compensation is the tips I make. The larger boats do pay their mates per trip/day plus any tips.

Keep in mind if something goes sideways on the boat I'm the one who will providing care. I'm also the one that ends up making your day go smoothly (getting the boat tied into the wreck efficiently). Just because I'm also "making a dive" doesn't negate the fact that I'm there to make your day better/safer.

haulinbass

Four Pointer
your 4 or 6 hour trip is about 12 to 14 hours for the mate. He has to clean the boat, catch the bait, tie the rigs, spool the reels, teach you how to fish (in a couple hours) and pray that the fish cooperate... don't be stingy or like was stated earlier, buy a boat, rods/reels, fuel, and then put in the time to learn the spots, throw a cast net, tie your rigs and clean your boat ... A good mate is worth his weight in GOLD

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
A good mate is worth a $100 tip on top of the $2,200 you are already paying (of which he’s often getting 10%)

$100 on $220 is 45%…it nonsense to tip the mate more bc gas and bait cost more.

If a 4-6 hour trip takes a mate 12-14 hours of work, then he’s slow. If a mate doesn’t like the long hours, learn another trade.

If the Owner/Captain think their mate is worth an extra $400-$500 at the end of a day’s work, they should tip him.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
Next time you fly, be sure to tip the attendant 15-20% of the price of your ticket…I’ll hand her $10 and won’t lose any sleep.

haulinbass

Four Pointer
[/QUOTE]
A good mate is worth a $100 tip on top of the $2,200 you are already paying (of which he’s often getting 10%)

$100 on $220 is 45%…it nonsense to tip the mate more bc gas and bait cost more.

If a 4-6 hour trip takes a mate 12-14 hours of work, then he’s slow. If a mate doesn’t like the long hours, learn another trade.

If the Owner/Captain think their mate is worth an extra $400-$500 at the end of a day’s work, they should tip him.

I was a Guide/Captain for almost 20 years, I was my own mate, but I fish alot offshore and know how much work these guys put in.

Tips were never expected, but always appreciated. I have had EPIC days of fishing with no tip and CRAPPY days with very few fish with huge tips... There is no rhyme or reason

BTW, Some mates are EXCEPTIONAL, but new and trying to establish themselves, I know a few that work for tips alone! FYI

My rule of thumb... If I feel like I am getting better than average service, you will be getting a better than average tip

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
I am glad you have never been a "guest" on our boat. It is a job whether you see it that way or not!!

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
I think that is a personal problem.
Who takes a job working for free?

Sounds like a hobby that you think people should pay you for doing your hobby.
Kind of like food stamp recipients expecting somebody else to do the work so they get a free ride :ROFLMAO: . Your problem is easily fixed though, stay the hell off of charter boats!!;)

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
When wife and I went fo during our honeymoon, it was just us and the Captain. We had rough seas with a storm coming in , wife was getting sick, currents kept changing, etc. But that man worked his azz off to find us a fish. We went from nothing for 3 hours, to a nice king mackerel, wife’s 7’ sailfish, and an amberjack. For a couple of mountain trout fishermen, we were thrilled. Our goal was to catch enough food for our 8 person wedding and we met that goal. Went back to the dock, he cleaned everything etc. He actually seemed surprised that I gave him 20% on top of the rate for the trip. His efforts gave us the memories and stories and food we hoped to bring home. I’ve spent way more on way less rewarding stuff. We probably were ocd about selecting him but it paid off

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Kind of like food stamp recipients expecting somebody else to do the work so they get a free ride :ROFLMAO: . Your problem is easily fixed though, stay the hell off of charter boats!!;)
Whats food stamps? You have a background in that?

Never had a free ride.
Always paid my own way!

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Well then don't expect someone to hook you fish for free. It's not as simple as putting a lure out and here they come. There are fishermen and then there are people who just reel. The latter should appreciate the ones who have some knowledge and a little skill. That's all I'm saying. Carry on and good luck catching some fish!!

I tip 20% if we catch fish. I give it to the Captain. I make sure cleaning the fish is part of the deal or I find another charter. If we dont catch I thank him for the $2200 boat ride. Depending on how many we catch depends on how much I tip. I have never been skunked on a charter. I have only caught a couple small sea bass on one and only tipped 5%.

Last edited:

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
I tip 20% if we catch fish. I give it to the Captain. I make sure cleaning the fish is part of the deal or I find another charter. If we dont catch I thank him for the $2200 boat ride. Depending on how many we catch depends on how much I tip. I have never been skunked on a charter. I have only caught a couple small sea bass on one and only tipped 5%.
Did they work any less hard for you?

Did they work any less hard for you?
I catch or no tip! I dont care how hard you work. $2200 is a lot of money! If you dont clean the fish at the dock I wont charter you again. Plenty of boats out there for me to Charter! I have always tipped 20% except once. Its really never been an issue. Do you think I should tip 20% for a boat ride?