Nitrofire - Legal in NC or not?

golfer

Four Pointer
Now that Virginia has legalized the Traditions Nitrofire, I wonder if it is legal in NC or not. Of course the wording in the NC regulations is not crystal clear.

NC regualations:

• During the blackpowder deer season, the only lawful firearms are blackpowder shotguns, rifles and handguns. The Commission defines a blackpowder firearm as any firearm - including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system - manufactured in or before 1898, that cannot use fixed ammunition; any replica of this type of firearm if such replica is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; and any muzzle-loading rifle, muzzle-loading shotgun, or muzzle-loading or cylinder-loading handgun that is designed to use blackpowder, blackpowder substitute, or any other propellant loaded through the muzzle or cylinder and that cannot use fixed ammunition.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
any other propellant loaded through the muzzle or cylinder and that cannot use fixed ammunition.

Seems like that the propellent for the nitrofire is loaded from the breech end, not muzzle. Therefore, not legal.

That said, i doubt any warden would check for anything like that. He will most likely see a ramrod under the barrel, and will assume it's just like all the other break action mzls.

I'm going to continue using BH209, until I switch to a smokeless setup....hopefully many years down the road.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Yes its legal to use during the 'gun' deer season right now.

It will be legal starting in August to use during the blackpowder firearms deer season.

So yes this year during the blackpowder deer season you can use one.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Bullet must still be loaded from the muzzle so why would it not be legal?
It does not use fixed ammo.

• Agree
Reactions: DRS

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Bullet must still be loaded from the muzzle so why would it not be legal?
It does not use fixed ammo.

The reg that the OP posted said "propellent loaded through the muzzle" not bullet. These charges go in the breech, not muzzle, so not legal by the reg he posted.

Yes its legal to use during the 'gun' deer season right now.

It will be legal starting in August to use during the blackpowder firearms deer season.

So yes this year during the blackpowder deer season you can use one.

Do you have a link to the reg that states it will be legal after august?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The way I read it is Or any other propellant loaded through the Muzzle. (Smokless)
This would be covered under the blackpowder, blackpowder substitute.
If it used smokless than no.

Been shooting breech loaders for several years. Game warden never said anything about it.
If it was good for other breech loaders why not now?

Last edited:

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Been shooting breach loaders for several years. Game warden never said anything about it.
If it was good for other breach loaders why not now?

Are you stuffing powder in your breech or just a 209 primer?

And:
That said, i doubt any warden would check for anything like that. He will most likely see a ramrod under the barrel, and will assume it's just like all the other break action mzls.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The rule change was part of the rule changes proposed and adopted for this upcoming season.

Don't have a link but the nitrofire guns will be legal for this upcoming blackpowder firearms deer season

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Now that Virginia has legalized the Traditions Nitrofire, I wonder if it is legal in NC or not. Of course the wording in the NC regulations is not crystal clear.

NC regualations:

• During the blackpowder deer season, the only lawful firearms are blackpowder shotguns, rifles and handguns. The Commission defines a blackpowder firearm as any firearm - including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system - manufactured in or before 1898, that cannot use fixed ammunition; any replica of this type of firearm if such replica is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; and any muzzle-loading rifle, muzzle-loading shotgun, or muzzle-loading or cylinder-loading handgun that is designed to use blackpowder, blackpowder substitute, or any other propellant loaded through the muzzle or cylinder and that cannot use fixed ammunition.
Personally, my recommendation would be to Email your clarification request to the WRC.
That way you'll get an official position in writing (from their official Email account).
Print it off, laminate it, keep it with you when you're hunting.
Just my 2 cents...

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Powder and primer.
Used a removable breech plug.

So on the sharps and smith loading the bullet and powder from the breech.
Same here, bullet, pyrodex pellets all go in the breech. I haven't loaded from the muzzle in years. Don't even carry a ramrod, or have a place to put one. IMHO, it's much easier to pull one of these newer knurled breech plugs than it is to fool with a bullet starter and ramrod. I don't have a problem with the nitrofire, it's really no different than what I'm doing.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How about we just leave the damn muzzle loader season the eff alone.
I agree to a point.
I wish they had left the season in Polk County alone. Late September/early October muzzleloader season had become one of the few times a year that I could hunt with my Dad. By the time their muzzleloader season rolls around now, he and I are usually going in two separate directions.
He’s not getting any younger, and this was something that had become very special to both of us.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Per the map use in nc is under review (fire stick, nitro thingie rifles using firestumps,etc)

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The new rules were out July 1 correct?
Not seeing anything for NCWRC that it is a current or pending change.

OP did not post a link of the change.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
BTW.
Just my 2 cents. They need to just dump the Black Powder/ ML season.
They are equal to a normal rifle now and have been.

Or go back to a side lock with flint/no10/musket cap only!
I sort of agree, with a two buck limit what purpose does it serve? Where we hunt and where we have hunted for years I can reach a deer with my mz as easily as with the rifle. I would be fine with weapon of choice beginning the first Sat in Nov for Central.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Weapon of choice first Sat in Nov. statewide.
I would put up a thumbs up emoji but I don't have them anymore.
2 bucks, six deer... why do they care how you fill your tags ?

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Legal now ...... use blackpowder, blackpowder substitute, or any other propellant loaded through the muzzle, cylinder, or breech and that cannot use fixed ammunition.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That pretty much opens up the manufacturers to come up with a easily loaded via breech two piece cartridge...two pieces, not fixed...seems a pretty simple concept.

golfer

Four Pointer
Thanks all! Nitrofire ordered from Bud's Gun Shop and in hand. Black stock with stainless Cerakote barrel. When I ordered it it was $405 retail. They now have it retail at $470. I guess that's what happens when nearby states legalize it. I FINALLY was on the right side of a price change.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Same here, bullet, pyrodex pellets all go in the breech. I haven't loaded from the muzzle in years. Don't even carry a ramrod, or have a place to put one. IMHO, it's much easier to pull one of these newer knurled breech plugs than it is to fool with a bullet starter and ramrod. I don't have a problem with the nitrofire, it's really no different than what I'm doing.

@Mr.Gadget Sent y’all both a PM about this.

golfer

Four Pointer
I finally was able to shoot in the Nitrofire. Last night my wife said I could either have her or "Nitro" in bed; me and the gun slept in the spare bedroom. I LOVE that gun already!

Without the gun having a breach plug, I was able to break it open and bore sight it with a laser pointer right about dark one evening at 40 yards. On the first shot yesterday, it was about 3 inches high and slightly to the rights at 40 yards. Backed up to 70 and then 100. It took only 5 shots with the last two touching in a 1 inch square.

Points I noticed about setup:
1. After shooting with the 120g Firestick, the first patch down the barrel would be very dirty. The second and third patch were considerably cleaner. It took half the patches and strokes to clean the barrel.
2. The Firesticks are almost smokeless. Still a little smoke, but considerably less that traditional black powder.
3. Shooting the 250g Thompson Shockwave, the bullet seated solidly on the collar/bullet stop every time. The ramrod comes with a T handle for loading. When using the handle, the bullet would seat with about 1/16" of air between the handle and the barrel. This was consistent confirmation that the bullet was seated at the same spot every shot.
4. No measuring powder or handling pellets.

Trigger is a little stiff, but no creep or travel. Overall, very happy with the rifle on experience #1.

Attachments

• Nitro.png
    Nitro.png
    537.7 KB · Views: 22