Red Dot on shotgun with Buckshot

johnnyk2000

Eight Pointer
The other thread about guns used with hounds got me thinking so I will ask a question.
Where I hunt with hounds, buckshot is the only thing that we can use legally. I know I have missed deer when I do not put my cheek on the stock so I was thinking of putting a red dot on my scatter gun to ease target acquisition.
So, my question is, anybody ever tried to use a red dot on a shotgun with buck shot use?

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
Works well… larger dots help “forecast” the shot pattern, too…I use a cheap $100 bushnell and it works well…it’s actually sighted in on a slug but works with the shot

I don’t use it much bc I can use a rifle, but it works well

johnnyk2000

Eight Pointer
Thanks ya'll. Thats what I was looking for. I was kind of leaning toward getting another Burris and making the gun a dedicated Deer gun with hounds. Now, I know that is what I am going to do

Mounthunter987

Button Buck
The other thread about guns used with hounds got me thinking so I will ask a question.
Where I hunt with hounds, buckshot is the only thing that we can use legally. I know I have missed deer when I do not put my cheek on the stock so I was thinking of putting a red dot on my scatter gun to ease target acquisition.
So, my question is, anybody ever tried to use a red dot on a shotgun with buck shot use?
Idk I’ve always just shot beads on my shotguns. If you end up puttin one one let us know how it does for you.

timber

Twelve Pointer
One of my old A5 brownings that I prob killed the most deer with by far has had the bead missing off the end for as about as long as I can remember. It has the 32in full choke barrel. If you kill enough deer with shotgun to me it’s more instinctive than just taking aim

Reactions: DRS

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Idk I’ve always just shot beads on my shotguns. If you end up puttin one one let us know how it does for you.
I have run one on my shotgun for years, if you are into getting the most out of your buckshot patterns they are the way to go. When I started reloading buckshot I went to one and stretched my effective range close to 20 yards.

klim

Twelve Pointer
Me personally I wouldn't run a red dot or reflex sight on a shotgun while dog hunting, I would be asking for trouble knowing my luck.

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My Dad uses a red dot on his Ithaca Model 37 with slugs, his Model 94 Winchester 30/30 , and his Parker Crossbow. Oh and he is 83 and still killing deer every year.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mine on two shotguns is in and out of the toolbox several times each hunt. It isn't babied, I check them 3-4 times a season and in two years they haven't moved an inch off of where they were set.

On the FF III they aren't like a scope much less chance of movement. Plus once you set them you lock them in place.

johnnyk2000

Eight Pointer
Put a Vortex Venom on the Stoeger M3500. I laser bore sighted it. I still want o see how it shoots on cardboard before before Go Time but I like it so far from the bench. I will keep you posted

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
I want to, but i run a wicked wing A5, id have to drill and tap and from what ive read online trying to do that to an A5 and shoot 3.5's usually doesnt end well for the reciever. Maybe ill throw one on my Mossberg 500 20 gauge bout all it does these days is rabbit and squirrel with the occasional trip walkin heads

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I want to, but i run a wicked wing A5, id have to drill and tap and from what ive read online trying to do that to an A5 and shoot 3.5's usually doesnt end well for the reciever. Maybe ill throw one on my Mossberg 500 20 gauge bout all it does these days is rabbit and squirrel with the occasional trip walkin heads
If you put one on that Mossberg SumToy makes a slick mount for it.