Fried Squash

Lakeview Bear

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Anyone have any secrets to frying yellow squash? I cant keep them from becoming soggy, greasy messes. Or all the breading comes off and there is no crunch.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mistake #1 - never thought of that.
Very possible oil is not hot enough. get a little skittish when it starts really popping
Thanks for the responses
Spinkle a few drops of water in your oil before it gets too hot. Once that water starts popping on the surface of the oil it's ready for vegetable cooking. Let it get a bit hotter before adding big stuff like fish that cools the oil quickly.
Also, fry small batches at a time. Big batches cool your oil and make the whole thing soggy.

spinnerbaitor48

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
little bit of salt and black pepper..do not slice it too thick......roll it in some yellow corn meal, and drop it in the hot oil.......ER is right on with the water on the oil test for proper temp...

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I prefer to season before I add them to the egg or dredge. I also, prefer a beer batter and use a rice flour so it's more like a tempura, light batter, or sake instead of beer. Temp control and starting temp of the food is really important as stated above. Try frying in a cast iron with a shallower amount of oil too. That's how I do chicken and it's nice cause it gets that hard cook on the skin, as it sits on the bottom of the pan. NICE!

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
soggy is either too much oil or too low temp.

We just slice ours coat in flower and fry in veg oil with some salt and pepper. very tasty.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Squash, okra, etc., make sure they are at room temp, and soak/dredge in milk or milk/egg. I through some flour, salt and pepper in a ziplock bag, dump in the veggies and shake well. Make sure the oil is HOT before putting 'em in. The oil should instantly boil up when you put them in.

I don't fry nearly as often anymore for health reasons, but instead stir fry in olive oil mixed with zukes, onions and peppers.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I don't fry nearly as often anymore for health reasons, but instead stir fry in olive oil mixed with zukes, onions and peppers.

My favorite way but without the peppers. Another popular way in our house is steam the squash and zucchini, lay slice tomatoes on top followed by a topping of fresh shredded mozzarella, finish by baking in the oven until cheese is melted. Change it up from time to time we add the tomatoes after melting the cheese.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
give them to wife,,,,
go mess around on nchuntandfish till she's done cooking them,,,
go eat,,,

works for me!! :cool:
I think now you've just committed the Big Reveal! All those dishes and recipes you post were actually cooked by your wife weren't they? Does she know you're taking credit for her hard work in the kitchen? :)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I think now you've just committed the Big Reveal! All those dishes and recipes you post were actually cooked by your wife weren't they? Does she know you're taking credit for her hard work in the kitchen? :)

nice try but nope,,,, she get's credit for her wonderful cooking,,

I have posted some of her's, but gave her the credit in the post,,,been at least 12 in here

she does all the vegetables,,, she's too good at it for me to mess with it,,,

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I fried up a big mess last night. I put mine in buttermilk and then in house of autry chicken breader.
get your oil so hot so your almost scared of it. 375-400 and it’ll fry up crisp. Layer on paper towels and don’t keep putting squash on top of the ones you cooked. Single layer quash, paper towels on top. Repeat until the layers till you get’em all cooked.