Spring/Summer Weather Thread

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Storm was a tornado warning when it intersected along the path the tornado last year hit and ripped roof off a house that was being rebuilt. Pretty much the same area of Lindley Mill, Woody Ridge along Greensboro Chapel Hill Rd saw a repeat. A lot of new damage as well.

The path is slightly different; last time was northeast track, this time is southeast track. I was about a mile south of the track at the time. We lost our mailbox that a passing motorist helped loosen a couple of weeks ago.

F9C83B65-57E7-456C-899A-BF672EA9BB0F.jpegF87DE657-23F0-4206-921F-AF8EB3344F75.jpeg09D4DF78-42C3-4A00-A4B9-60D59C5E00F1.jpeg1007B4A9-3994-4DE3-BC4A-C202C36BE32F.jpeg

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
So apparently I was not a mile south of the track like I thought based on damages but was in the middle of the potential path at Dad’s house where most of my stuff is. Not sure if there was a tornado but the damage I have since heard took out another farm that got hit last year, this time much worse.

Will have to see what the official report shows but for now all I have is the WXII wind sheer chart

E66B6707-7AB6-46D9-891B-96606A82BD1F.png

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
5/24 4 o clockish.

Left our house in N Raleigh ish (3 weeks without rain), drove to downtown. 7 miles. Skies were opening up. Pick up work vehicle with brand spanking new tranny in her (no puns please) in the FIRST of a pouring rain (HUGE rain drops). The MRS states, "I hope some of this rain hits our house!" I agree.

Heading home less than 10 minutes later, and legitimate flash flooding occurring, hydroplaned on good tires multiple times. Splashed over the roof several times by people either in a hurry or on better tires than I have. Get to within 1.0 miles of home, only wet pavement I see is dripping of the MRS vehicle in front of me.

We went through a gully wash, and 2 miles later not a drop of rain fell. Since then I have listened to thunder for over an hour, and anything below full foliage is completely dry.

I don't know if it's harder to predict precipitation in NC during the Winter, or Summer!!! Glad I don't have their job!

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Zero at the house today even though radar showed green and a little yellow. Two miles away had .3". We could use a shower but I bet the farmer is glad the hay did not get wet here.

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
My guide to typical North Carolina weather: Cutting hay makes it rain, planting tobacco causes a drought, wild turkey hatch brings cold temps/pouring rain and taking a week off in September to bow hunt causes a hurricane, (fill in your experiences here), 🤷‍♂️

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I think a cloud sneezed as it blew by my house. But the temp did drop a little

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
My guide to typical North Carolina weather: Cutting hay makes it rain, planting tobacco causes a drought, wild turkey hatch brings cold temps/pouring rain and taking a week off in September to bow hunt causes a hurricane, (fill in your experiences here), 🤷‍♂️
That pretty much nails it.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns

And a 6 week flounder season comes with 3 weeks of rain AND a hurricane.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Some are hoarding the rain. Only had 1.8 inches in last 5 weeks or so. That came in 2 rains over the last 10 days

shurshot

Ten Pointer
We went 23 days w/o rain back in early May. My place is in Pamlico Co. Now, we’ve had over 5.5” of rain in the last 3 days. And there was plenty more before that. Corn fields (impoundments) are under water now. Doesn’t look like any let up for the next two days.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Some are hoarding the rain. Only had 1.8 inches in last 5 weeks or so. That came in 2 rains over the last 10 days

Buddy of mine that lives about a mile away has recorded 14.36 inches of rain in the last 10 days with half of that the last 2 days. Had to take several detours to get home lastnight.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Tropical low in the GOM should come in possibly as a named storm mid week then the core of the low is going to track up over the mts or just eat of them through the Carolinas......sometimes these can lead to small or even moderate tornado outbreaks.....exact timing and how strong the system is etc will have a lot to do with it but keep a eye out this early next week...

Also gonna get hot this weekend.....pushing 95-100 is possible for most of the Carolinas......

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Claudette looks to regain tropical storm strength over central and eastern NC, really a lot of questions of just how widespread and heavy the rain will be ( one model is rough for the western part of the state the other not so much ), the storm will be baroclinically driven and still warm core which makes it tough to read especially on the NW side of the storm......there could be a lot of rain in the mts and foothills though in a fairly short amount of time, but there will be a sharp cutoff to it and exactly how much of the mts and foothills get hammered is very much going to be a nowcast kind of thing. Secondly the S and E sides could/should see some tornados ( they have had several really bad ones already in AL/GA ) and the coastal waters will not be boating friendly with TS force winds on the water.

Good thing the BRBM tourny was last week and not this week.....