Is it okay to raise your voice to a co-worker

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Long story short. Receptionist threw out documents I had just sealed and left in the print room for less than 30 minutes. Had to go back to my office to reprint one document. Came back and everything was in the recycle bin. Receptionist has sent out email previous complaining about documents left in the print room unclaimed. We have a tray for unclaimed documents that has a label stating it will be cleared out Thursday at 2:00.

This is not the first time my documents have been thrown out.

I let the receptionist have it. (I talk loud and get excited.) Was told I was out of line. Waiting on repercussions from HR,

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
I struggle with this in office settings and am natured the same. Unfortunately, it is not acceptable to raise your voice these days.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am sometimes HOH and think that the rest of the world is too, so I can speak a bit more loudly when I'm not sure I'm able to be heard.
I also have been told that my appearance is "intimidating" and that I should try and use a softer voice when speaking to "people"...my response has been less than accepting.
Whiney babies need not start something they are unwilling to finish, so bring it on ... obviously you were simply making sure that the party was able to hear you since they didn't seem to be listening to anything you were saying.

Lakeview Bear

Ten Pointer
Contributor
People usually respond with the same energy and nothing gets accomplished. Or if they don,t, would you rather have the coworker cower and cry? I understand the frustration but in a work environment I find it is better to talk with little emotion.

Lakeview Bear

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I am sometimes HOH and think that the rest of the world is too, so I can speak a bit more loudly when I'm not sure I'm able to be heard.
I also have been told that my appearance is "intimidating" and that I should try and use a softer voice when speaking to "people"...my response has been less than accepting.
Whiney babies need not start something they are unwilling to finish, so bring it on ... obviously you were simply making sure that the party was able to hear you since they didn't seem to be listening to anything you were saying.
Unfortunately, the whiny babies work in HR. Why else would you want to work in HR?

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I’m very much of the outlook that if you can resolve issues with your wife without shouting, you can resolve any problem at work without shouting. If you have to go over their head, then so be it. Shouting matches only get everyone around flustered and nothing good ever comes out of it.

Dragnzdan

Button Buck
When I was a yound lad, I was working construction, Green as Green could be, if I made a mistake........ie cut a board too short. That too short board was hurled at me with a 45 sec string of curse words....... Guess how many more boards in cut too short? I miss them days

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
In my line of work we have a deal, actually its a stated SOP.
As long as you aren't cursing, threatening with harm, or demeaning on a personal level its pretty much Katie bar the door.

There are times when I have to bow up and get a little loud or I will be over-run by outside contractors or vendors.
I have no problem with a "lets cut the crap" moment. In turn, if I deserve one, bring it.

But...even in the worst moment I will articulate my argument with clearness and fact.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Like I tell my wife. Some people ain’t never had a old school grandpa who farms and loves you more than life but ain’t scared regardless of age to yell at you and tell you what you did wrong while your working livestock or “helping” him work on equipment. You’d swear he was mad as hell but then be joking with you 30 secs later. It’s just how that generation was. More people need grandpa’s like that.
me personally, I’d rather you yell at me straight to my face than not and then talk :donk:donk:donk:donk about me behind my back. Too many p*****s nowadays and thatgoes for men AND women.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I know you said recycle bin but does that just mean it was thrown in there and you could just pull it out or completely shredded?
Just curious....lol

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I would notify HR I have a disability.... im partially deaf. 😉 I use to get told my size was intimidating to others but thats BS.
I seriously would file a complaint about the receptionist violating posted SOP by tossing out unclaimed documents.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Off topic a tad, but I worked on a team with one guy from Puerto Rico, one from Chile and one girl from the Dominican Republic at one point.. Folks use to think we hated each other, all 4 of us because you could hear our conversations in the hallway outside the conference rooms sometimes.. but it was simply spirited debate.. when the meeting was over we were and are as thick as thieves.

In the US it is generally, in an office setting not OK. but in other cultures it is fine.. as a matter of fact I have seen situations where getting a bit demonstrative has been necessary to earn a little respect. That said you have to read the room and know the audience..

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I could not hear you!

Anyways
You suffer from hearing loss correct, ringing in ears. You talk loud because you cant hear good......

It saved my but a few times.
If they call you in the office tell them to speak up, you can not hear them. You are hard of hearing!

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Once voices get raised what's getting said quickly gets ignored and the focus becomes how it's being said. In general I never raise my voice at anyone because I've found it's more counterproductive than being calm.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It all depends on the environment and the job. Assuming an office setting, then its generally frowned on. Having said that, I've done it a time or two. It never really got me what I wanted. So...I found other ways that do.

Its amazing what simply standing and staring at someone for an uncomfortably long period of time will do. And then speaking very softly while holding eye contact. Most of the time they can't take the eye contact and break it.