Coach K retiring...

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
hubert has the whole world pulling for him. Quite a story that unc finally hires a minority head coach in a revenue sport. It'll get him any NC player he wants and he will never be fired.
Scheyer has nothing but doubters and "they should have hired .........s."
Exactly what K walked into when he was hired.

JWH15

Six Pointer
399/72=5.54 :ROFLMAO:
I don't have a dog in the fight but do you base how good a team was by how many players are in the NBA from the team and what they average? If so, how is 2017 UNC's team in the NBA? I honestly don't know but curious. They had a good team from what I remember but I can't tell you if anyone is in the NBA and if they're relevant.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I don't have a dog in the fight but do you base how good a team was by how many players are in the NBA from the team and what they average? If so, how is 2017 UNC's team in the NBA? I honestly don't know but curious. They had a good team from what I remember but I can't tell you if anyone is in the NBA and if they're relevant.
i agree. maybe (since this is really a unc-duke deal) we can shift to how many times unc has had the best team in the country and blew it in the big tourney.
Probably 20 times under dean, at least six with roy.
so K takes useless players and won a NC. Guess he really is the GOAT.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
hubert has the whole world pulling for him. Quite a story that unc finally hires a minority head coach in a revenue sport. It'll get him any NC player he wants and he will never be fired.
Scheyer has nothing but doubters and "they should have hired .........s."
Exactly what K walked into when he was hired.

You won’t hear that from me. I think scheyer will do a great job as long as they’re patient with him like they were with coach k. Imagine if after those first few rocky seasons they had let coach k go? Scheyer had the greatest teacher in the game and I’m sure he absorbed most of it.

and I agree on Hubert…..idk about getting him any nc player but if he is horrible in his first two years they will just have to swallow it for a while with the way things are because they would be blasted if they fire him any time soon. I hope they both do well and keep up the greatest rivalry in sports the way that it has for decades.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns

How many nba players a team has in regards to how good they are is not the point I was trying to drive home. The eye test was what I was referring to as well as how good/bad their competition was. Obviously both teams have put a ton of guys in the nba. Some were a bust and some were incredible. There were a lot of great nba players that both dean and Roy put out that did not win a title. Same can be said for a lot of Duke players.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
i agree. maybe (since this is really a unc-duke deal) we can shift to how many times unc has had the best team in the country and blew it in the big tourney.
Probably 20 times under dean, at least six with roy.
so K takes useless players and won a NC. Guess he really is the GOAT.

You are correct about that although I would t say 20 times. Dean struggled to win titles. Roy struggled to win titles at Kansas. Coach K had a lot of those years as well. It comes with the territory and why I think it’s the hardest sport of any to win a title let alone 2, 3, or 5

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
and I agree on Hubert…..idk about getting him any nc player but if he is horrible in his first two years they will just have to swallow it for a while with the way things are because they would be blasted if they fire him any time soon. I hope they both do well and keep up the greatest rivalry in sports the way that it has for decades.

Shouldn't most coaches be given more than two years? Duke gave Coach K more than 2 years.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Shouldn't most coaches be given more than two years? Duke gave Coach K more than 2 years.

At most schools yes……Duke hasn’t know anything other than coach k in many decades so I’m sure they will be more patient with scheyer. But both programs are used to winning and there is a higher demand for it than other places.

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
... Tell us about roy's and Coach K's nba careers.

I didn’t say I’d take a guy with a NBA career over all available options, I said I’d take the guy with the NBA career in Scheyer vs Davis. As I also said, I don’t think either hire was great, but they’re going to give the first chance to someone within the family. The leash will be very short though. It takes 2-4 years to become irrelevant if you aren’t winning. The new crop of players don’t care about tradition, they care about exposure. A current high school player believe that Tony Bennett & UVA own the triangle schools and he isn’t wrong.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I didn’t say I’d take a guy with a NBA career over all available options, I said I’d take the guy with the NBA career in Scheyer vs Davis. As I also said, I don’t think either hire was great, but they’re going to give the first chance to someone within the family. The leash will be very short though. It takes 2-4 years to become irrelevant if you aren’t winning. The new crop of players don’t care about tradition, they care about exposure. A current high school player believe that Tony Bennett & UVA own the triangle schools and he isn’t wrong.
hubert's leash is as long as nicole hannah jones'
and for basically the same reason.
he's untouchable in CH. imo.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
hubert misses 3 NCAAT in a row, he isn’t safe.

No coach at either school is safe if that happens. I would be more concerned with their health at that point than their job.

I think under normal circumstances Hubert would have a much shorter leash as Carolina has had 3 down years in a row now. But given the cultural background gets him
More time if things don’t go well over the first 3 years. As someone else stated, these modern day players don’t care about tradition, just exposure which has honestly ruined college basketball. I wish they would just go pro from high school instead wasting space and scholarships to dribble a basketball. Hope hubert and scheyer recruit by the 4 year plan that both k and Roy were successful with. Building a program is much more than just building a team.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
We haven’t had the proverbial star big man since the last title. Also last time Duke had a really good big man they cut the nets down.
having cussed the plumlees for so many years ( part of that was probably wojo training them.) i have trouble remembering positive duke "centers"

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
having cussed the plumlees for so many years ( part of that was probably wojo training them.) i have trouble remembering positive duke "centers"

Okafor was their last true big man. Before that you have to back a ways to Sheldon Williams. That is the best Duke team that did not win a championship.