Garden woes.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Wow didn't know deer ate tomato plants. I have used motion activated lights with some success for rabbits but they have to be bright

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
Wow didn't know deer ate tomato plants. I have used motion activated lights with some success for rabbits but they have to be bright
I had deer to eat 8 German Johnson plants overnight 2 years ago.
I planted the garden closer to the house last year and this year hoping to prevent that from happening again.
I like the idea of motion activated lights!

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Worst thing that has ever bothered my tomatoes besides the tomato worms is the leaf legged bugs two years ago. Were not many last season but the year before was like a plague of them. Best stand of silver queen corn I ever had got eaten by the cows one night when they got out. It was head high and tasseled and was nothing left but two inches of stalk sticking out of the ground

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got a garden issue going on.
I noticed a couple holes in my squash leaves Sunday. I mixed up some Spinosad and drenched every plant in the garden. Today I walked out there holding the daughter and one of my plants is eat to the point that it’s dead, a few more are eaten up pretty good. There is still an outline of the leaves, but I’d say 80% is gone and it looks like they were shot with birdshot.

I mixed permethrin and bifen and they now look like I sprayed them with milk.

any idea what is causing the issue? I wondering if fire ants are getting them due to not having water. I’ve seen that with okra before.

I feel confident that the issue is solved for this week. Guess I’ll have to fill in the gaps with more tomatos.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Rabbits are taking a liking to my tomatoes. I’ve been dusting all my plants with Sevin fairly regularly And they’re doing fine for now. Slugs aren’t getting yours are they? I didn’t know I had such a slug problem until I walked out around 11 one night. More sevin took care of them too

Also, things are blooming here

Attachments

• E5C0A36C-FEC7-477D-8371-90167003C226.jpeg
    E5C0A36C-FEC7-477D-8371-90167003C226.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 15

Trchunting

Twelve Pointer
My garden is looking pretty good but really need some rain. I bought cabbage plants and they are huge but some of them aren't heading out like I thought they would by now. They were suppose to be Jersey's but I am not sure if they got mixed with some hybrid.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Got a garden issue going on.
I noticed a couple holes in my squash leaves Sunday. I mixed up some Spinosad and drenched every plant in the garden. Today I walked out there holding the daughter and one of my plants is eat to the point that it’s dead, a few more are eaten up pretty good. There is still an outline of the leaves, but I’d say 80% is gone and it looks like they were shot with birdshot.

I mixed permethrin and bifen and they now look like I sprayed them with milk.

any idea what is causing the issue? I wondering if fire ants are getting them due to not having water. I’ve seen that with okra before.

I feel confident that the issue is solved for this week. Guess I’ll have to fill in the gaps with more tomatos.
SLugs. Get some slug pellets.

bubba man

Four Pointer
need rain bad - about to do a rain dance - i`m in PINEBLUFF and we need it !! - i collect water but that is dissapearing fast

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The drip tubing and electric fence go down at the same time as planting here. Too dry I can handle. Too wet like like last year will kill it.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My garden plants have not done well for several years now. I attribute it to seven dust killing all the bees and lack of pollination! What do yall think about my theory?

didnt produce or didn’t grow. If the plants themselves look like dog turds, they ain’t gonna produce. Ive had some great looking plants for a few years and haven’t been all that productive. I believe bifen/permethrin are to blame for that. You have to keep them from getting eat up, get the spray deters pollinators as well. Its A tough game.

timber

Twelve Pointer
I doubt if sevin is the main cause for the garden not to produce. I use it and a few other insecticides on regular basis over the next few months. Never had a problem. I do try to avoid spraying early in the mornings. I usually try to spray any insecticide right after lunch in the heat of the day. The bees are not as active

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My garden plants have not done well for several years now. I attribute it to seven dust killing all the bees and lack of pollination! What do yall think about my theory?

I think you may need to have a soil test done. That will tell you if your soil is deficient and if not, your problem is elsewhere.

pickle

Eight Pointer
Last year my garden did awesome kinda. Plants where great tomato plants 8 ft high squash plants 3 ft wide and healthy. Just got no fruit !!! Seen a couple blossoms and that was it.

WakeHunter32

Eight Pointer
My grandfather always put a radio inside an old mailbox in his garden and would leave it on an am talk station at nights. Never had animal problems.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’m getting some starting the bear now. Took 5 potato plants to get that mess of potatoes but I’m happy for my first garden.

tomatoes and squash/zuch are really growing but I am concerned they won’t fruit well after what I’m seeing with the potatoes

Attachments

• C19D3B18-A581-4916-93FC-5E0552064D85.jpeg
    C19D3B18-A581-4916-93FC-5E0552064D85.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 9
  • D108F5D9-908B-4B24-B9B7-2C159A6E8B98.jpeg
    D108F5D9-908B-4B24-B9B7-2C159A6E8B98.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 10

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I’m getting some starting the bear now. Took 5 potato plants to get that mess of potatoes but I’m happy for my first garden.

tomatoes and squash/zuch are really growing but I am concerned they won’t fruit well after what I’m seeing with the potatoes
I dug up the first potato plant yesterday. I noticed that the blooms were gone which is supposed to be a good indicator that potatoes are ready.
Had a good amount of potatoes but most were small (red potatoes).
How long will they keep growing after the blooms fall off?

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I dug up the first potato plant yesterday. I noticed that the blooms were gone which is supposed to be a good indicator that potatoes are ready.
We typically dig our taters first of July. Dad likes to have them out by the 4th. Those are Kennebec's though, so might be a little different from the red varieties. If you see the plants wilt down and start to die you better get them out or they will rot after a rain.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For Idaho and the like, with the thicker skin, I wait until the vine has died and is no longer green. Then I leave them on a screen for several days in the shade to toughen them up. They will last for several months if you keep them in a cool closet.
For thin skinned potatoes I wait until the leaves start yellowing before digging, that way all the goody is out of the plant and it's no longer putting anything into the potato itself.

timber

Twelve Pointer
I don’t go by the blooms on red potato’s. I wait till see the vines start failing. What I have seen if the vines are still green the potato’s are probably small or not many on the vine. When they start maturing they will pull on the vines. On the red potatoes I like the ones about the size of a golf ball better. I usually scratch around and pull a lot of them before I dig the rows.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
If you planted them in March let them go until at least July the plants will be mostly dead but the potatoes will still grow

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
If you planted them in March let them go until at least July the plants will be mostly dead but the potatoes will still grow
I usually wait till July on the white potatoes but this is the first time planting reds so I wasn't sure.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
I usually wait till July on the white potatoes but this is the first time planting reds so I wasn't sure.
I had an uncle that would leave them until august or later if it was dry weather,he thought that was a good of a place to keep them as any

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
What others said,usually july 4 the plants are yellow from the heat is when I start digging some. Leave some in the ground as long as it's not to wet until I need them. These are red Pontiac and just started blooming good,planted last week of March through first of April 20210601_160352.jpg20210601_160457.jpg