Roy Williams Retires

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
HD better be a hellavu recruiter. Best I can tell he's starting from scratch. but losing brooks is to be expected. he always did think his value was greater than he showed.

Nobody is more happy that brooks is gone than me. He was a mediocre player at best on a really bad team last year and this year him being preseason acc poy was a joke. He will not be missed at all. Kessler leaving is what hurt. Bacot grew a lot this year and I think he will return. Will be a different front court losing 3 of our 4 big guys. But that gives bacot the keys to drive the team. They just need a guard that can get him the ball at will. But Hubert is starting from scratch. As I said before, unc fans need to use some patience because he will not win immediately like Roy did.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Entire staff announced today. Underwhelming to say the least.

View attachment 64596

Agree with that. I like Jeff Lebo but he has been bad everywhere he’s been. Sean may has been in the system for a while now so he knows the players and what goes on. The rest are as you said......underwhelming. Hope it works out but I won’t get excited until I see results.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Do you think this results in K staying around a few more years or does this have no impact on his decision? I realize you're not a Duke fan...but was wondering if you had thoughts on the matter.
I Don’t think it will have any bearing. CBB is changing and it’s no longer about the bluebloods anymore when you can win just as easily at Gonzaga, Villanova, Baylor, et al. Those programs have staying power now. It’s not a coincidence that UNC, Duke and Kentucky all sucked this year. None at all. One and done has created an era where you go to the program that will give you the best opportunity to showcase immediately and if not, you quit and transfer and it’s placing a ton of strain on premier programs who recruit 5* talent. Kentucky has been dealing with it for years, and it’s now catching up to Duke and UNC and Kansas. Different times and I think we’re about to phase out the coaches of yesteryear who can’t adjust. K included. The sand is getting very low.,

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I Don’t think it will have any bearing. CBB is changing and it’s no longer about the bluebloods anymore when you can win just as easily at Gonzaga, Villanova, Baylor, et al. Those programs have staying power now. It’s not a coincidence that UNC, Duke and Kentucky all sucked this year. None at all. One and done has created an era where you go to the program that will give you the best opportunity to showcase immediately and if not, you quit and transfer and it’s placing a ton of strain on premier programs who recruit 5* talent. Kentucky has been dealing with it for years, and it’s now catching up to Duke and UNC and Kansas. Different times and I think we’re about to phase out the coaches of yesteryear who can’t adjust. K included. The sand is getting very low.,

The NCAA poking around in your( not you per se alt... ie blue bloods) shoe company recruiting ties will get you sucking pretty darn quickly. LOL. Your darn right it isn't a coincidence. Geez... I hope this isn't trolling or smack talk...

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Do you think this results in K staying around a few more years or does this have no impact on his decision? I realize you're not a Duke fan...but was wondering if you had thoughts on the matter.
Competitors like Coach K (or Roy) don't spend much time thinking about the inner workings for their competition very much, anymore than Tiger Woods thinks about the guy teeing off on the next hole, institutional rivalries aside.

They think about what they need to think about to win next season, to win the next game, etc...

Gonzaga and Villanova are bluebloods in their own right. They may not be Dukes (no pun intended) but they're certainly Earls or Barons. Gonzaga has been in the tournament every year since 1999, 11 sweet 16's, two final fours. Since 2000 Nova has been in three final fours to Duke's 4.

And every recruit has had to make the decision, "how important is it to me give myself the best odds at being the biggest fish in the pond?"

I think John Calipari went whole hog on the "one and done" philosophy, and it hasn't worked as well as he had hoped. For it to work well you really need to bat 1000 at recruiting, and hope you were right after you get those recruits. Roy and Coach K and others have always kind of doublespoke on it, "well, players need to do what's best for them and we aren't doign right by them if we don't encourage that."

Baylor didn't have a single true Freshman starting, 3 Juniors and 2 Seniors. Two of them were transfers, but just as notable had transferred back when they had to sit for a season.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
we can hope it gets K interested.
When he has to apologize to student newspaper reporters (for making them uncomfortable) and pamper these players you have to wonder if the inner "Bobby Knight" is leaning towards K saying "the hell with it". imo.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^ Jim’s horse has to run good in the derby first before they take over the sporting world.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Gonzaga and Villanova are bluebloods in their own right.

"In their own right" doesn't make you a blue blood. Gonzaga hasn't won a championship ever. Baylor just won their first. Nova is a little closer but still doesn't have the sustained success, the alumni, branding, etc, of the traditional blue bloods. I admitted they had staying power. The dynamics are changing but they aren't blue bloods yet.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
"In their own right" doesn't make you a blue blood. Gonzaga hasn't won a championship ever. Baylor just won their first. Nova is a little closer but still doesn't have the sustained success, the alumni, branding, etc, of the traditional blue bloods. I admitted they had staying power. The dynamics are changing but they aren't blue bloods yet.

I think the "blue bloods" are a thing of the past. Things aren't like they once were. Everyone is up to speed now. Football money is building basketball as well.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
If that were true, Gonzaga wouldn't have a good basketball program since they last fielded a football team in 1941. Villenova has a football team in a minor conference.

Well Duh... More of a testament to SEC money and their teams heavily investing in basketball in last 2-3 years.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Well Duh... More of a testament to SEC money and their teams heavily investing in basketball in last 2-3 years.

Not sure why you are saying Duh since the post you responded to mentioned Gonzaga and Villenova to which you said football money is building basketball.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
I think the "blue bloods" are a thing of the past. Things aren't like they once were. Everyone is up to speed now. Football money is building basketball as well.

Bingo, and I alluded to such earlier. The hierarchy is changing. Where it lands, we'll have to wait and see.

I Don’t think it will have any bearing. CBB is changing and it’s no longer about the bluebloods anymore when you can win just as easily at Gonzaga, Villanova, Baylor, et al. Those programs have staying power now. It’s not a coincidence that UNC, Duke and Kentucky all sucked this year. None at all.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
The NCAA poking around in your( not you per se alt... ie blue bloods) shoe company recruiting ties will get you sucking pretty darn quickly. LOL. Your darn right it isn't a coincidence. Geez... I hope this isn't trolling or smack talk...

The NCAA doesn't even know how to tie it's own shoes at this point. Lol. They aren't poking around anywhere, they're just trying to stay afloat. What is killing the top basketball programs right now is their to commitment to marketing NBA progression versus program building. Roy had it figured out years ago and I can't for the life of me understand why he changed. Don't take the one and dones, they offer nothing to your program other than a one year shot with the "best" prospects (not players). Everyone else has figured out how to build the better teams with players who likely won't see an NBA court. Consistency wins, and one and dones offer none of it. I guess Roy was feeling the pressure of needing to recruit 5*'s and it led to his demise.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
The NCAA doesn't even know how to tie it's own shoes at this point. Lol. They aren't poking around anywhere, they're just trying to stay afloat. What is killing the top basketball programs right now is their to commitment to marketing NBA progression versus program building. Roy had it figured out years ago and I can't for the life of me understand why he changed. Don't take the one and dones, they offer nothing to your program other than a one year shot with the "best" prospects (not players). Everyone else has figured out how to build the better teams with players who likely won't see an NBA court. Consistency wins, and one and dones offer none of it. I guess Roy was feeling the pressure of needing to recruit 5*'s and it led to his demise.

I'm gonna draw the line right here before I start melting ❄ and get another hammer from Tip. :)